newbe fireplace insert install suggestions comments wantee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KRIPPER

Oct 9, 2008
westchester co ny
Recently purchased baker coal insertF/my fireplace whats the deal w/burning wood in it? Most say yes but it is always said with a whine in their voice sort of like I'm commiting some minor sin.Guy that sold me the unit (Coal company in business 40 years) said yes also said I need not liner to roof but must put pipe up at least 6 ft. into chim. (clay liner in ex. cond.) getting fireplace rebricked as heatolater was there and was reemoved got price and asked about liner go to roof said good idea/won't hurt pressed said 6ft. up should be no prob. also said clay liner in good shape.any comments on baker insert paid lot of $$$ but it looks like it will last mylifetime and probally my grandsons lifetime too.Doing install myself retired auto., heavy equip.,master mechanic so I know my way around a hammer and wrench but I'm never too old to listen & learn so any comments are welcomed and very nuch appreciated

Most if not all here will recommend that you run the pipe up the entire length of the chimney.
The reasons are:
1. it's much easier to clean
2. it will most likely draft better
3. it's safer if there is a chimney fire
4. most clay lined chimneys are not up to spec - even though they look like they are

You might want to also search around this site for "insulated liners" & "block-off plate"

Status
Not open for further replies.