Newbe here hooking up chimney pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Quad

Feb 3, 2010
Illinois
I have a quick question about routing chimney pipe. I need to put the Quadrafire Mount Vernon in the center of the house with the rear to an interior wall. I am contiplating running the pipe through the interior wall and up through the ceiling in the adjacent room. I have a huge picture on the wall to the rear of the Quad and would hate to stick a chimney pipe in front of it. I'd like to keep it there if possible. Any dangers of doing this? The adjacent room is my bedroom and I could use the extra heat in there from the pipe. I realize it may not be a good idea to have a pipe in the bedroom but I have several detectors in the house and could move one in there easily. I anxiously await your responses and thank you in advance.

Rick

Here's a start... http://www.duravent.com/pdf/catalogs/pelletventpro.pdf

Don't plan on getting a lot of radiant heat from the vent pipe... I can touch mine where it exits the wall. And you need to keep your vent pipe under a certain length figuring in any elbows, etc.... I couldn't find the info but I'm sure others here will chime in.

You must adhere to all clearance requirement of both your stove and the vent manufacturer. So it depends upon what those folks say plus any code requirements about running vent pipe in a bedroom. Failure to follow the manufactures requirements and code (frequently one in the same) will revoke the stoves listings, void the warranty on the stove, and cause you insurance problems. So whatever you do pay attention to those requirements.

That all having been said you need to calculate the EVL of the vent setup, every 90 degree bend has a value of 5, 45 degree bends have a value of 3, each horizontal run has a value of 1 per foot of run, each vertical run has a value of 0.5 per foot of run. You count them all up and consult your stoves installation manual. It will tell you what size vent pipe you'll need. Pay very close attention to it as it impacts your stoves ability to properly burn. Any horizontal runs have to actually have to have a small vertical component, they never can be pointed downward.

So the answer is check both the stove and vent makers manuals.

Turbo-Quad said:
......I need to put the Quadrafire Mount Vernon in the center of the house with the rear to an interior wall. I am contiplating running the pipe through the interior wall and up through the ceiling in the adjacent room. ............
You NEED to, or you WANT to? If you need to, just wondering why?

Need or want? A little of both. As I said there is a picture on the wall that the stove will be infront of and the pipe will obscure the picture. The picture is wall sized and won't fit anywhere else in my house. So, I just thought if it wasn't a big deal I'd go through the wall, then 90 up and have a 15 foot run up through the roof.

Also, I bought this second hand and I don't think the thermostat is working right. It won't get above 65 degrees but the thermostat on my furnace reads 73 degrees and it is much further away. I am interested in getting a programmable one and wondered if any programmable thermostat will work as long as it is 5 homs?

Thanks

Rick

Turbo-Quad said:
Need or want? A little of both.........

Also, I bought this second hand and I don't think the thermostat is working right. It won't get above 65 degrees but the thermostat on my furnace reads 73 degrees and it is much further away. I am interested in getting a programmable one and wondered if any programmable thermostat will work as long as it is 5 homs?

Thanks

Rick

I guess you didn't get what I meant......do you NEED to put it on that wall? Why can't you put it on an exterior wall to begin with? I was wondering if you WANTED to put it on the interior wall because you thought it would look good under the picture.

As for the stat, is it a 3 wire stat? If so, I think that's the only one that you can use for that stove. A regular programmable stat only uses 2 wires.

Oh yeh sorry I misunderstood. I wanted it on that wall because it is about the only place to put it and it happens to be the center of the house. All the other walls have numerous windows.

The thermostat is 2 wire. This is the standard Quadrafire Mount Vernon not the AE. 4 years old.

Turbo-Quad said:
The thermostat is 2 wire. This is the standard Quadrafire Mount Vernon not the AE. 4 years old.

If it's 2 wire, then any millivolt (standard) programmable will work.

rick i cant imagine that would be legal. i would check with your bldg inspector first . mine goes straight up and out through the roof . the stove is in the center of the house ..move the picture. just my 2 cents.............. take care

Status
Not open for further replies.