newbe with piping questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shocker

Nov 20, 2011
Edmonton Alberta
sure glad i stumbled upon this site last night, lots of good info. I have a wood boiler with 80 feet of 1 inch pex running to a coil in a forced air furnace. My question is; i want to branch off from the furnace and run lines to the garage. My local guy says to T the line and add another pump but i think that this will cause problems as my main pump is in supply side. Should i T or just have one pump push through 2 coils. the garage is about 50 ft away. Also, should i downsize the garage line to 3/4 to keep the flow up? thanx for the help

Do you want to always heat your garage or have it on a separate t-stat? If you want to control it separately I'd personally use a new circ pump and an independent thermostat. I'd also use smaller pipe, as you mentioned, to discourage flow through your garage when that pump is not running.

Ultimately, however, your pipe size should depend on loads to be proper. How big is your garage?

i have my pump running all the time and the thermostat controls the fan only, this is how i intend the garage to be also. My garage is 1000sqft.

here is my system, 1 inch line through my coil and back to the wood boiler. Should i T a 3/4 pex line into the return and add another pump or cut into the 1 inch copper and have the return go through the garage coil and use only one pump? Are there possible problems with downsizing the return to 3/4? All the diagrams i see have a second coil Teed into the return but i would expect possible cavatation having 2 pumps pulling from the boiler.

If you only use one pump, then both loads will get heat when ever the thermostat calls the pump on. If you want both system controlled independently, either two pumps, or one pump and two zone valves. The 3/4 return will not be a problem but it will only carry about 3- 4 gpm.

i want the pump to circulate all the time through two coils. I only want to control the fans on each coil seperately

Status
Not open for further replies.