newbee problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philbrick

Mar 20, 2011
chicopee ma
Got a ef3 and had it installed. What im reading is they should of used a megaholic guage at time of install,and they didn't. Im not sure if it because of that or it's just me but im having a hard time finding a good setting for my damper. I have been using 3 on dial a fire. my flame seems very very small. the heat output seems ok,yet i have nothing to compare it to. If need be i will find a indi tech to adjust the stove if you guys think it would be a good idea. If im going to go with pellet for main source of heat i want to do it right, im kind of anal that way

IMHO the EF3 is a tinkers stove. You'll need to play with damper as you increase the feed dia. She's a full on manual analog. I like to start with a lazy flame. Push your damper in until the flame starts to get tall with some black tips. It will turn dark orange. Wait a bit to get a rich condition. Then slowly, just a smidge of movement on the damper out. Wait for a few seconds on each adjustment. Pull it out(slowly) until the fire just starts turning yellow and active.

Each time that you adjust the feed rate with the dial on the control you will need to adjust for the larger fuel charge, So you will need to again pull the damper out slowly in small increments. This is a suttle adjustment at a time and waiting in between for it to react. Us patiance and small damper movements.

You really don't need a mag to adjust this stove. What it is used mainly for is to varify that you don't have poor or excessive EVL in your venting. And maybe to set max damper for highest feed rate.

Another note: is to be sure that the installer didn't lock the collars on the damper rod. I would only lock the collar for low fire only to keep the user from closing the vent too far. And It would only be on the lowest setting. I always locked the collar on the max damper setting to full out to give user full damper setting for max feed rates. Some of these units didn't even have collars. Just wanted to be sure you had the info as FYI. If there are no collars, Not an issue. Just be carefull not to push the damper in while filling/working the stove.

Check link and look at page 6

http://tinyurl.com/3krn7dz

thanks a lot. what you said made sense. BTW i have read the manual inside and out i think i just needed verivacation from you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.