Newbee with VC Vigilant questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmac845

Jan 12, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
Greetings! Let me start by saying Im very excited to start burning wood again, and am very grateful for this forum. I picked this stove up yesterday and want to make sure she's working properly. I did go through the owner's manual once, and I will read it again and again. I still have some questions. I noticed there's no firebrick in the firebox. Is it missing, or just not needed? Maybe the sand takes it place? Also there are NO gaskets that I can see anywhere on the stove. There also looks like there should be a rod or something on the damper control.
Does anyone have some good pictures of what this old girl's supposed to look like? Thanks a lot!

What kind of shape is your unit in? Been run hard or hardly run?

Some pics of your stove inside and out could be quite insightful here.

Welcome to the site.

pen

Um, yeah, really should have gasketing on the front doors and top "griddle". No brick, but be SURE to put at least 1.5" of SOMETHING in the bottom!!!

Yeah, they're pretty clear about the 1.5 inches of sand, minimum. Here's some pictures:

View attachment 89946 IMG_3546.jpgIMG_3547.JPGIMG_3548.JPGIMG_3549.JPGIMG_3550.jpg

My concern is obviously the missing seals/gaskets from the doors, but the griddle top gets them too? Hmmm..., Can I use the standard "roping"? There also seems like something's missing from the bottom of that ball chain. The bi-metallic coil is still in place, but feels like there should be a door or some kind of cover over what looks to be an intake port at the bottom right in back (poor pictures). Also, (please excuse my ignorance) but what is stove cement? How do I know if I need it?
I'm hoping to learn as much about this stove as I can. Want to get her all dialed-in before I have the pipe put up. Thanks.

Ok. After some further research on this most-excellent site, I've read that the griddle gasket is sort of a custom job with a "wire running through it". So, is this true, and has anyone had any luck with a substitute? Much thanks.

You CAN use standard 5/16 rope for doors and griddle too. The metal stuff lasts longer, but not to worry.

That piece on the top is the primary air tube, lives on the left side of the firebox level w/ the bottm. Look closely, you'll see a threaded cast boss in the center of the left side, about 1 1/2 " up from the bottom. Need a 2" 1/4-20 flat head stove bolt. Sorry if this is too vague... ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.