Newbie about to take the plunge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HollowHill

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2009
Central NY
Spring has sprung and so has my oil bill. Without going into gory details, it's a blood bath, simply can't afford it. After several years of debate, husband is finally willing to go along with buying a woodstove. I've been avidly reading and educating myself at this forum all those years and would like to thank you all for this invaluable resource. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the Woodstock Frankenstove, thanks to Dennis and Todd and all the others who sing Woodstock's praises, hoping that the clearances will allow. We currently have a Rumsford fireplace, which will be converted to the wood stove. The house is 2000 sq ft and 206 years old. We've been doing what work we could to tighten it up and that effort will continue. I have access to 200 acres of woods, some of which was lumbered off last summer. I'm hoping to find someone to cut the tops on shares in the very near future -as in next week, fingers crossed. I've contacted Woodstock and will be receiving updates about the Frankenstove (they are shooting for a mid-to-late June production date). Next on my list is to figure out the best way to stack my wood for a "less than a year" drying season. Currently thinking one long line angled to the wind with old metal roofing on the top. Madly collecting pallets to make Shari's wood racks. Also looking into getting an installer/chimney sweep lined up for this fall. I'm hoping to convert an unused bathroom in the mudroom back into a woodshed which will allow me to store some wood inside (the whole mudroom was a woodshed at one time) and get the garage cleared out for additional storage (cars won't fit in it anyway, made for Model Ts https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/smileys/#). My husband has health problems which preclude him helping in this endeavor, I'm on my own, so I'm trying to make things as workable as possible. The snow can get pretty deep around here, making wood retrieval iffy at times. What else should I be doing/thinking about? What other preparations should I be doing? Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you are just starting on your wood I think cherry seasons fast if it is out in full wind and sun, seems that ash will season fast also. We try and have about a months worth of wood in the house in the wood racks, we like pushing our wood in on the weekends.

We live in the foothills of the Adirondacks and use our Rhino Yamaha with a trailer to haul the wood and it can get tough bringing it in at times.

Zap

HollowHill said:
wood for a "less than a year" drying season.

zapny said:
cherry seasons fast if it is out in full wind and sun, seems that ash will season fast also.

Any idea the types of wood you have in the tops out there? They're probably off of live trees, and may be hard to get seasoned in time.
You've got a big woodlot; There's probably a lot of standing dead that's ready to burn now, the smaller limbs anyway, if you can figure a way to get it in. Some of it might be real close to the house...
I'm using a moisture meter to set me up for this season. Once I'm far enough ahead, I won't need the meter as much.

Woody Stover said:
HollowHill said:
wood for a "less than a year" drying season.

zapny said:
cherry seasons fast if it is out in full wind and sun, seems that ash will season fast also.

Any idea the types of wood you have in the tops out there? They might be off of live trees, and hard to get seasoned in time.
You've got a big woodlot; There's probably a lot of standing dead that's ready to burn now, the smaller limbs anyway, if you can figure a way to get it in. Some of it might be real close to the house...
I'm using a moisture meter to set me up for this season. Once I'm far enough ahead, I won't need the meter as much.

I know I've got cherry and maple, not sure on the rest. The tops were off live trees last year, but I know seasoning doesn't really start until they're bucked and split. Not sure if there is much standing dead, I have a feeling with the winds we have around here the dead trees don't stand very long. I have been going around kicking some of the downed trees, some are punky, but some are not, so maybe they would work?

I don't suppose anyone would know of a firewood dealer around Cooperstown, NY that sells seasoned wood?

HollowHill said:
I know I've got cherry and maple, not sure on the rest. I have been going around kicking some of the downed trees, some are punky, but some are not, so maybe they would work?
I don't suppose anyone would know of a firewood dealer around Cooperstown, NY that sells seasoned wood?
As Zap said, Cherry will season in time, not sure about the Maple. I've been chopping on a few down trees with a hatchet to see how punky they are and how solid the inner wood is. Getting "seasoned" wood from a dealer might work if you dry it this summer, except Oak (as you probably know from reading here.) Moisture meter might help when buying wood, too. Some dealers might be offended, but you're the buyer and you have to make sure you're good for next season. I whipped out the meter when I bought a little from a guy recently. He started getting defensive, saying "You don't have to buy my wood." I told him "I'm just playing with my new toy." Even though it was marginally dry, I went ahead and bought a bit, since I have other dealings with this guy. The wood ended up in next year's stack, and I burned some other stuff I scraped up.
If you get a meter, establish a baseline for what reading is good on your meter. Folks here say that the cheap meters may vary in what they read. On mine, 20% hisses on the fire, 15% burns well.

pine/fir/spruce seasons fast also if you have any of that around.

Mt Ski Bum said:

I do have a lot of standing pine, not tops, would that season in time? I'm worried that pine would burn too hot, or is that not the case?

Pine, ash and silver maple seem to be a few of the better options we have for quick drying. If they get cut, split and stacked in an open windy spot before Memorial Day, they will be fine this fall. Given the wind we've had this winter, you should be able to find enough on the ground on 200 acres to not have to drop any.

SolarAndWood said:
Pine, ash and silver maple seem to be a few of the better options we have for quick drying. If they get cut, split and stacked in an open windy spot before Memorial Day, they will be fine this fall.

+1
But, you'll be think lucky one who gets to play with a brand new stove, with less than ideal wood. At least you will have the choice of cat or tubes. I think I remember reading on their blog that this is one of the advantages of the hybrid design. The cat likes dry wood, the tubes can tolerate less than dry wood. Woodstock has been taking their sweet *ss time with it, so I'm sure it will be prefect.

jeff_t said:
SolarAndWood said:
Pine, ash and silver maple seem to be a few of the better options we have for quick drying. If they get cut, split and stacked in an open windy spot before Memorial Day, they will be fine this fall.

+1
But, you'll be think lucky one who gets to play with a brand new stove, with less than ideal wood. At least you will have the choice of cat or tubes. I think I remember reading on their blog that this is one of the advantages of the hybrid design. The cat likes dry wood, the tubes can tolerate less than dry wood. Woodstock has been taking their sweet *ss time with it, so I'm sure it will be prefect.

A lot more perfect than I'll be as a new woodburner! Worried that I'll do it in before I figure out how to use it...

If you have tops laying around there should be enough wood in reasonable condition (reasonably well seasoned) to get you through next winter in good shape. I'd look for the tops of Red Maple, Silver Maple, White Ash, Black Cherry, Black locust, Honey Locust, Tulip Poplar, Aspen, Pine, Spruce, Fir, tamarack, Hemlock, Walnut, for next winter. The main species I would not select for next winter are oak, hickory, and Sugar Maple. Oak is pretty easy to identify and should be set a side for the winter after next. Hickory and Sugar Maple should also be set aside, but they can be harder to identify, except Shagbark Hickory which is fairly easy.

You will probably have some difficulty finding a wood cutter who can ID all of the trees now that they are dead. No big deal as long as the oak can be separated. Even if you can't separate the oak because you can't tell which is oak, you will still be OK, but separating the oak would be better.

The tops will have some parts held above the soil and some resting on the soil. Select the parts off the ground for drier wood, but with the faster drying species any of the wood should be OK by fall.

I think if you can stack in a single row in the sun and wind for the summer, you're way ahead of average and the wood should burn pretty well (reading this forum you get a very skewed idea of the average time firewood is allowed to season! in reality most people season less than a full year but manage to heat the house). If you can stack a second year's supply now you'll have really great burns the winter after next. The extra time really makes a big difference in the wood.

I wouldn't worry too much about covering the wood until the fall. I think there is no harm in covering the tops now, but it just isn't as big a priority as getting the full winter's supply stacked. I suggest at least four cords for next winter, and 6 would be even better just in case you burn a lot. A few people here on this forum burn 8 or 10 cords per winter, but 4 or 5 is more typical.

If you were in central PA instead of central NY, I'd offer to cut on shares. If it was my land I would cut the waste from logging instead of standing dead trees. i think the logging waste will burn fine this winter, and if not cut it will rot in a year or two. The standing dead trees have a lot of wildlife value, plus they'll last longer than the down wood, so I'd cut down wood first.

Wood Duck said:
If you have tops laying around there should be enough wood in reasonable condition (reasonably well seasoned) to get you through next winter in good shape. I'd look for the tops of Red Maple, Silver Maple, White Ash, Black Cherry, Black locust, Honey Locust, Tulip Poplar, Aspen, Pine, Spruce, Fir, tamarack, Hemlock, Walnut, for next winter. The main species I would not select for next winter are oak, hickory, and Sugar Maple. Oak is pretty easy to identify and should be set a side for the winter after next. Hickory and Sugar Maple should also be set aside, but they can be harder to identify, except Shagbark Hickory which is fairly easy.

You will probably have some difficulty finding a wood cutter who can ID all of the trees now that they are dead. No big deal as long as the oak can be separated. Even if you can't separate the oak because you can't tell which is oak, you will still be OK, but separating the oak would be better.

The tops will have some parts held above the soil and some resting on the soil. Select the parts off the ground for drier wood, but with the faster drying species any of the wood should be OK by fall.

I think if you can stack in a single row in the sun and wind for the summer, you're way ahead of average and the wood should burn pretty well (reading this forum you get a very skewed idea of the average time firewood is allowed to season! in reality most people season less than a full year but manage to heat the house). If you can stack a second year's supply now you'll have really great burns the winter after next. The extra time really makes a big difference in the wood.

I wouldn't worry too much about covering the wood until the fall. I think there is no harm in covering the tops now, but it just isn't as big a priority as getting the full winter's supply stacked. I suggest at least four cords for next winter, and 6 would be even better just in case you burn a lot. A few people here on this forum burn 8 or 10 cords per winter, but 4 or 5 is more typical.

If you were in central PA instead of central NY, I'd offer to cut on shares. If it was my land I would cut the waste from logging instead of standing dead trees. i think the logging waste will burn fine this winter, and if not cut it will rot in a year or two. The standing dead trees have a lot of wildlife value, plus they'll last longer than the down wood, so I'd cut down wood first.

Well, this gives me hope. My ideal plan is to get 16 cord stacked in the next few weeks. Not sure if I'll find someone willing to do that much, tho. If not, I'm trying for 8 cord now and 8 this summer (my logger can come back then and help me). Given the amount of oil we go thru, I'm figuring 8 cord or more will be needed.

As far as stacking, I have a number of options which I'm trying to decide upon. Near and parallelling the house I have a driveway with a row of huge white pines on the side farthest from the house. My original thought was to stack under the pines (the lowest branches are about 10 feet up). This would have the stacks somewhat under cover and be at an angle to the prevailing wind. Then I thought in the winter I'd move the stacks into the garage and the house. Access-wise this would be best. I also have, farther away from the house, 2 pole barns and I've also thought that I could stack (maybe next year's wood) in their with both doors open (big sliding doors, opposite each other, so the prevailing wind could whip through unimpeded). If I'm going to stack out in the sun, it will be farther from the house and more difficult to access come winter. Woodstock seemed to think out in the sun even all winter would be best. I can't see how that would work with all the snow getting on the stacks, tho. Any thoughts on these options?

Thanks.

HollowHill said:
Mt Ski Bum said:

I do have a lot of standing pine, not tops, would that season in time? I'm worried that pine would burn too hot, or is that not the case?
Pine, even if it's super green, can still season in 6 months or less. Don't worry about it burning too hot- that's just another eastern/southern pine myth. Whenever people bring up those myths about pine, I like to remind them that pines are basically all we have out here in the Rocky Mtn. West, & we haven't destroyed our stoves or burned down our houses by burning pine!
Best of luck in your search for good wood!

The fastist drying wood that i have fond that has gone from Green > 18-24% mosture content in 6-9 months was

Silver Maple
Soft Maple
Black Locust
White Ash

I also used a sweet cooking method.

Go to walmart. Pick up the $18 painters plastic. 30ft long by 15 feet wide and it's 4 times thicker than normal plastic. Place it over the stack and bring the plastic 1/2 or 1/3rd the way down the side. Hold down with logs ontop.

The inside temps got up 140-150 degreese on a hot day and condensation never formed cause it was able to escape out the sides.

HollowHill said:
Spring has sprung and so has my oil bill. Without going into gory details, it's a blood bath, simply can't afford it. After several years of debate, husband is finally willing to go along with buying a woodstove. I've been avidly reading and educating myself at this forum all those years and would like to thank you all for this invaluable resource. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the Woodstock Frankenstove, thanks to Dennis and Todd and all the others who sing Woodstock's praises, hoping that the clearances will allow. We currently have a Rumsford fireplace, which will be converted to the wood stove. The house is 2000 sq ft and 206 years old. We've been doing what work we could to tighten it up and that effort will continue. I have access to 200 acres of woods, some of which was lumbered off last summer. I'm hoping to find someone to cut the tops on shares in the very near future -as in next week, fingers crossed. I've contacted Woodstock and will be receiving updates about the Frankenstove (they are shooting for a mid-to-late June production date). Next on my list is to figure out the best way to stack my wood for a "less than a year" drying season. Currently thinking one long line angled to the wind with old metal roofing on the top. Madly collecting pallets to make Shari's wood racks. Also looking into getting an installer/chimney sweep lined up for this fall. I'm hoping to convert an unused bathroom in the mudroom back into a woodshed which will allow me to store some wood inside (the whole mudroom was a woodshed at one time) and get the garage cleared out for additional storage (cars won't fit in it anyway, made for Model Ts https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/smileys/#). My husband has health problems which preclude him helping in this endeavor, I'm on my own, so I'm trying to make things as workable as possible. The snow can get pretty deep around here, making wood retrieval iffy at times. What else should I be doing/thinking about? What other preparations should I be doing? Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you HollowHill and you are also welcome.

We have not given up on the Frankenstove and will buy one if we need it. We just are not sure because we are putting in lots of new insulation and also new windows right now. So, will the Fireview still heat our home next winter with the addition? Time will tell, but I'll admire you getting that stove for sure. I also admire you living in a 200+ year old home! That has to be a beautiful home for sure.

I hope it does work out for you cutting on shares. We had someone come in to cut several years ago and it worked out okay in the end but we had to watch them closely else we would have been shorted on the wood. Sad that people are that way, but so many are. I chased them down and laid it on the line that they shorted me. They tried to deny it but decided perhaps a little cash in my hands might be better than an attitude adjustment.

You say you have cherry and maple. I will assume hard maple and say that it might be ready by, say, January but it will be marginal. The cherry if you cut it now or before June definitely should be ready to burn as it seasons fast and you'll also like the burn. It is not on par with oak but it is still excellent firewood. Also, Mt Ski Bum is right about the pine. Many folks are afraid of it but it will burn good, just not as long as hardwoods.

I like your ideas of the woodshed but would caution you on making sure the wood is good and dry before putting it in the shed. Same thing for the pole barn. Wood still seasons best out in the wind. Sun helps for sure but wind is your best friend. I'd also stack it in single rows but would stay away from the white pines even if the bottom limbs are all dead or off; I'd stack it in the open because of better air circulation and you need that especially because of the lateness of getting the wood together.

This also brings up the question of getting the wood split and stacked. Who will do this? I do hope you have some help on this. If we were closer I'd gladly offer the help but it might cost you a Coke or two. Well, Pepsi might do too. Whoever splits the wood, you might consider spitting a bit smaller than you normally would just to hasten the drying of the wood this year.

Also on the stacking, I know you like Shari's pallet idea and she does a wonderful job but you may very well have something better! With all the tree tops after the logging, it should be easy to find some short poles. Anything from 3" up to maybe 6" works great for stacking wood on and I think it is easier than using the pallets. As for building the ends, it is actually quite simple to learn to do. Just don't try stacking the wood too high. We stack at 4 1/2' high.

Best wishes to you and your husband and I'm really sorry to hear he has the health problems. Sadly, we can easily relate to that.

Also, please keep us posted on your progress. Good luck.

Backwoods Savage said:
This also brings up the question of getting the wood split and stacked. Who will do this? I do hope you have some help on this. If we were closer I'd gladly offer the help but it might cost you a Coke or two. Well, Pepsi might do too. Whoever splits the wood, you might consider spitting a bit smaller than you normally would just to hasten the drying of the wood this year.

Also on the stacking, I know you like Shari's pallet idea and she does a wonderful job but you may very well have something better! With all the tree tops after the logging, it should be easy to find some short poles. Anything from 3" up to maybe 6" works great for stacking wood on and I think it is easier than using the pallets. As for building the ends, it is actually quite simple to learn to do. Just don't try stacking the wood too high. We stack at 4 1/2' high.

Best wishes to you and your husband and I'm really sorry to hear he has the health problems. Sadly, we can easily relate to that.

Also, please keep us posted on your progress. Good luck.

Backwoods, thanks for your insights. Good luck with the extension, that's exciting.

My house is indeed lovely (to me) and I adore every drafty inch, especially since it was my grandparents, so a lot of good memories.

I'm hoping that whoever I get to buck the tops will also split them. If not, I plan on doing that and the stacking myself. I have a 14 year old son who has offered to help, but his schooling takes priority and he works very hard at that. I'm sure this is going to be a lot of work and it will probably do me a world of good to get off my duff and do it. Thanks for the offer of help, I'd have stocked up on a case!

I really like the idea of having ends to lean the stacks on. I've admired yours with the ?box? ends, but not sure I'd be able to do that and, with my temper (your wife is not the only ornery redhead), I'm liable to do serious damage if my stacks were to fall over. I also can't sew a straight line, so figuring the pallets will help me to not meander drunkenly with my stacks ;)

Will indeed keep you posted. It's great having a community to share with and lean on as I start this adventure!

Wow. Having the grandparents old home has to sweeten it nicely! Just watch that temper there redhead!

HollowHill said:
My house is indeed lovely (to me) and I adore every drafty inch, especially since it was my grandparents, so a lot of good memories.

That's not just a house, that's a real family home!

And once you have that woodstove installed, you will wonder how you ever got along beforehand. :)

I can't add much to the knowledge already on this thread, but my own experience is that the quicker seasoning woods do tend to burn a bit faster.

My only other thought is that you are very rare in that you have asked the questions, and done a lot of study before you bought your wood stove.

Wish I'd known about this forum years ago :)

woodchip said:
HollowHill said:

That's not just a house, that's a real family home!

And once you have that woodstove installed, you will wonder how you ever got along beforehand. :)

I can't add much to the knowledge already on this thread, but my own experience is that the quicker seasoning woods do tend to burn a bit faster.

My only other thought is that you are very rare in that you have asked the questions, and done a lot of study before you bought your wood stove.

Wish I'd known about this forum years ago :)

Yes, it is indeed a family home and represents the hard work of generations. Hoping I don't burn it down :( Whenever I get leery about this endeavor, I try and remember that my grandmother used a kitchen wood stove every day up until the late 1960s and I vaguely recollect my grandfather next to a huge pile of wood operating a buzz/circular saw out in the back yard. They did not let an overly inquisitive kid too near that operation, tho ;) I have very fond memories of coming down in the mornings and cozying up to the woodstove, so I'm looking forward to that aspect of it. And yes, I feel very fortunate to have this forum as a resource, not to mention it's been a lot of fun, too. Got my daily chuckle more often than not!

HollowHill said:
My grandmother used a kitchen wood stove every day up until the late 1960s and I vaguely recollect my grandfather next to a huge pile of wood operating a buzz/circular saw out in the back yard. They did not let an overly inquisitive kid too near that operation, tho ;) I have very fond memories of coming down in the mornings and cozying up to the woodstove, so I'm looking forward to that aspect of it. And yes, I feel very fortunate to have this forum as a resource, not to mention it's been a lot of fun, too. Got my daily chuckle more often than not!

I reckon most of our grandparents would have cooked and heated with wood, they are probably up there now having their daily chuckle about how we communicate and often struggle with what they just got on with :)

Well hey, my mother cooked on a woodstove when I was a young lad. Of course, that was a while ago.... My wife also had an aunt who, on her 50th wedding anniversary was given a brand new cookstove (I don't remember if it was gas or electric). She hated that thing, but she did finally get used to it which was good in her advanced age.

Strange how things often go round in circles, Mrs woodchip has got her great grandmothers Mrs Beeton cookbook out so we can do some old recipes, cooking on the woodstove.

The microwave cookbook has suddenly started collecting dust :)

I just went through my 1st winter burning and I am in the process off cutting and stacking for the upcoming winters now. I can say that w/ out a splitter, splitting by hand 16 cord is going to be quite a chore.
On a sort of related note. I found another option to help w/ the heating in the green room. It's a solar heat box and seems pretty excellent to help supplement the heat. Especially in the shoulder season. I'm finding that the perfect temp I used to be able achieve w/ nat gas in the old house is a thing of the past. I don't want to have a fire going in the day w/ the windows cracked to adjust the heat to a comfortable temperature.
Also after I put in new floors I never hooked up the old oil burner and steam heat. Leaving me to rely solely on the wood for heat.

Just something else you may not have thought during your 1st year burning. Good luck and here is the link. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/72885/

Status
Not open for further replies.