Newbie advice please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joel95ex

Nov 3, 2010
NE TX
We bought our first home a year ago and are absolutely paranoid about fire safety since an apartment complex we lived in completely burned down about 6 yrs ago. the house is about 9 yrs old, has what appears to be a builder grade, superior brand brf-3875. the rear refrac panel is toast and it needs to be cleaned and inspected b4 I'll light a fire in it. Well we have elec heat and had unusually cold winters for TX last year---daytime for a week never broke 30 F. our heating bill was TWICE the TX summer cooling bill so we were not happy-- I am looking to supplement the heating with a wood burning fireplace---- should i repair this, do an insert, or rip it out and install a real fireplace---- I like the idea of the zero clearance units, but may not need one as this pre-fab is in the corner and there is a bunch of space behind it- it appears to have a double-wall chimney pipe that is 14" yet the termination at the top of the chimney is more like 8". I would like to keep the total cost around $3500 and my father in law is a contractor so he could do the finish work. also, how do I know if the installer is really qualified----I surely don't want some idiot just reading the instructions and slapping the unit into place----i ask since some other members stated that some installers would willingly put an insert into a prefab while others opposed it-----any help would be appreciated including preferred brands----

My ADD kicked in about half way through reading your post, twice.
But just wait, you'll get all the answers you need.
Good Luck-

Do the required work one time and get a new wood stove, insert if required. Make sure it has a fan to circulate the hot air. Then burn seasoned wood. You will do more than suppliment you heat. Do not be worried about risk of fire, if the work is done by a pro or someone in the know, the materials today if applied correctly will provide ample safety. Be smart about this and you will be greatly rewarded....

kenny chaos said:
My ADD kicked in about half way through reading your post, twice.
But just wait, you'll get all the answers you need.
Good Luck-

+1 K.C.

- Paragraphs, capitalization, thought structure, etc. - who needs it!?!!

"should i repair this, do an insert, or rip it out and install a real fireplace"

That's easy, go with a real fireplace.
Your post reflects all the questions that can get jumbled together when considering options nowadays.
If a real fireplace is a viable option, why not then?

Status
Not open for further replies.