Newbie ALMOST looking forward to the winter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prishie

Jan 13, 2014
Guilford, Connecticut
I know I made the mistake of a newbie. I bought 4 tons of Envi Blocks but haven't bought any wood yet! I have a contact who says he get true 'seasoned' wood so hopefully I'll be okay. My question is, what is the best thermometer to purchase? I have a Quadra Fire Cumberland Gap stove. Thanks, Trish.

Hi Trish, welcome. I too am looking forward to the stove heat, but would be very happy to go from fall to spring, skipping winter altogether :)

I don't have an answer for your thermometer. But I do want to make sure that you have considered the possibilities of using the Enviro-Blocks (or any similar products); these may void your warranty. You may want to use these to augment any wood you get instead of being the primary fuel. Also, there are quite a few posts here of people recommending how to use these blocks - that they should be tightly packed to avoid over firing the stove.

I apologize if you've already considered all of this and more. Best of luck to you and hope you enjoy your stove!
Bruce.

I've had good luck with Condar's thermometers. I have both a stove top and a double wall stovepipe probe type thermometer. I tend to keep my eyes on the probe-type more often.

Another vote for Condar thermometers . . . at least I've had good luck with them and have found the accuracy pretty decent.

I know I made the mistake of a newbie. I bought 4 tons of Envi Blocks but haven't bought any wood yet!

Not sure why you said you made a mistake? I think with a bit of care you can burn those blocks exclusively and enjoy your stove. Here are some tips on how to use them:
http://www.ecobrick.net/instructions
Start with a few at the beginning and then slowly work yourself up to filling the whole box with them. I am sure after a week you have figured out how to adjust the air to keep the temps in check and enjoy long burn times. I should add that when I started burning a lot of pine instead of hardwood it was almost like trying to figure out a new stove. It took me a few days to know when the close the air to not get a runaway fire.

Last edited:
Agree. There is a learning curve with a new stove, cord wood or blocks. Start slow and get in sync with how it burns with different loads.

Reactions: Grisu
Meant Condar

Good catch . . . it's hard to keep those condors attached to the hot stove for very long and I don't think they're very accurate when it comes to reading temps. Condars are a different story. ;)

This unit works well if you want to track flue temps.

AT200-assemble.jpg

I traded in my Jotul F-3 after 2 years for what I have now AND burned Envi-8 blocks. Your 4 tons should easily get you through the winter without any problem! Just be careful - those suckers are full of btu power and can over-fire your stove easily. My advice... just go S L O W L Y and burn a little at a time until you truly understand how to burn them carefully. There is a big difference if you're using, say, just 3 blocks and space them out - or - place them 'side to side' tightly as if the 3 blocks were just 1 big block!

I didn't mind using Envi blocks - but the wife HATED IT and was afraid to load the stove if I wasn't home (she works days - I work evenings, so needless to say I was never home after her until 1:30am... whereas the fire would be out most of the time and nothing more than a few embers remaining to try and get the stove burning again)

Status
Not open for further replies.