Newbie builds log racks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medic

Aug 8, 2011
NY
Hi Experts,

First season with wood after Irene uprooted 35 locus in my yard....

There's a 100ft long fence along the side of my property but the ground slopes towards it so I cant just use pallets on the ground.
Instead I used cinder blocks to level the slope (and get the logs off the floor). Then I made some racks from weathersheild 2x4. Used coated wire across the top to stop it collapsing sideways.

Pictures attached. showing my attempt at building a log rack.

Now that the first rack is loaded I'm wondering if the 2x4s will take the weight or collapse before I get round to using the logs.....

Any thoughts????

Attachments

• Loaded.jpg
    Loaded.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 555
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 531
  • Empty.jpg
    Empty.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 523
You asked for experts instead you got me! Any how, weight wise the 2x4's will prob hold fine. You can run the wire through the stacks in the middle as well then as you stack wood on top the wire will pull tighter and hold well.
What's the plan on the rounds? Those rounds won't dry w/o splitting, even the smallish ones never mind the big stuff.

I stacked my wood 5' high with a similar method. I was using 2x4s on their side (not up on edge like yours), and they are supported every 4ft.
They hold just fine, sag a little bit... but otherwise hold just fine so far.

My first thought is "Split that wood" :) Seriously - it not only will dry out faster but will be more stable and not stress out the ends of your rack.

I think the long members of your rack being 2x4's on edge will be strong enough, but I do wonder about the ones you have laying flat. Over time they will at least bow if not break I would imagine. At least I would support them in the middle, not just the ends. If designing it, I would have them on edge too. Your vertical pieces may pull out if you don't cross-stack or otherwise support them more, but I don't even use end supports on my stacks - I prefer to cross stack using the more rectangular pieces in general.

Best of luck - time will tell how it holds up.

Definitely need to be splittin that stuff. As mentioned above, it will help your stacks to be alittle tighter and will be in much better shape to burn next year.

2X4 might bow a little but shouldn't be a problem. As grandpa used to say it won't take any more time to split it now than it will later!

BL:

Attachments

• 000_0012.jpg
    000_0012.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 512
Wow, so many responses in an hour! Great stuff thanks!

I started stacking log lengths as the whole yard was covered in logs and it will take me 5+ years to burn through it all. I know I need to split some asap but I'm still sorting out where to put it all...

Installing a lennox montecito estate next week. Going to trade a few cords of my fresh locus with neighbors seasoned to get me going this winter. Heard that locus has <20% moisture anyway so will buy a meter and test to see if I can use as soon as this winter.

Pics show maybe a quarter of the stacks I have to split. Nice problem to have.

Thanks again for the comments!

Attachments

• DSC08749.jpg
    DSC08749.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 469
  • DSC08751.jpg
    DSC08751.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 488
  • DSC08760.jpg
    DSC08760.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 469
  • DSC08764.jpg
    DSC08764.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 489
The 2 x 4's will be fine, I have two 12' racks stacked 5 feet high and they hold it no problem. They look pretty good seeing what you have to work with.

medic said:

I started stacking log lengths as the whole yard was covered in logs and it will take me 5+ years to burn through it all. I know I need to split some asap but I'm still sorting out where to put it all...

Installing a lennox montecito estate next week. Going to trade a few cords of my fresh locus with neighbors seasoned to get me going this winter. Heard that locus has <20% moisture anyway so will buy a meter and test to see if I can use as soon as this winter.

Yeah nice problem to have alright. I see some cherry in there too I think. I had a similar situaltion, you're smart to try and keep it off the ground. I was not so smart so before I was able to split it all the bark got nasty and buggy. The heart wood of locust is tough stuff though, didn't rot at all and splits nice and clean. Good luck.

medic said:

Medic great jumpstart on your firewood supply and welcome to the forum! I agree with the others, split and stack it now you'll be glad you did.. I have mixed feelings about moisture meters unless you pay alot for a really good one.. My low budget HF unit is worth what I paid which wasn't much! Tony aka fire_man has the same one and he will vouch for that..

Ray

All that locust is a beautiful sight, did you get all that off your land?

Never mind, I missed it in your furst post, thank you Irene.

medic said:
Wow, that's a lot of cutting and stacking just since Irene, looks like splitting is the least of your worries for now.
Going to trade a few cords of my fresh locus with neighbors seasoned to get me going this winter. Heard that locus has <20% moisture anyway so will buy a meter and test to see if I can use as soon as this winter.

I suppose there is such a thing as 20% MC locust in some parts of some trees under some circumstances, but 40% would be more normal although very tall trees in a high density stand can run a quite a bit drier, 30% or so. If you get some split and set it up well off the ground in some sun it could easily get dry enough to burn along towards Ground Hog's Day. Actually locust will burn pretty well the same day it is cut once you get it lit, but it would be a real shame to use much of it up that way.

ewdudley said:
medic said:
Wow, that's a lot of cutting and stacking just since Irene, looks like splitting is the least of your worries for now.
Going to trade a few cords of my fresh locus with neighbors seasoned to get me going this winter. Heard that locus has <20% moisture anyway so will buy a meter and test to see if I can use as soon as this winter.

I suppose there is such a thing as 20% MC locust in some parts of some trees under some circumstances, but 40% would be more normal although very tall trees in a high density stand can run a quite a bit drier, 30% or so. If you get some split and set it up well off the ground in some sun it could easily get dry enough to burn along towards Ground Hog's Day. Actually locust will burn pretty well the same day it is cut once you get it lit, but it would be a real shame to use much of it up that way.

Have to disagree there. The locust I have burnt is not all that easy to light off even when its dry. Sure once you have some coals going it burns long and hot but if its at all wet it is one heck of a PITA to start a fire with and does not want to stay lit unless you feed tons of air.
I always try to start up with something other than locust if I have something on hand.

jatoxico said:
Have to disagree there. The locust I have burnt is not all that easy to light off even when its dry. Sure once you have some coals going it burns long and hot but if its at all wet it is one heck of a PITA to start a fire with and does not want to stay lit unless you feed tons of air.
I always try to start up with something other than locust if I have something on hand.

Right, I said if you can get it lit it will burn pretty well green, but as you say, getting it lit is another matter altogether, and by the time you put enough air to it to get it to burn clean you send a fair amount of heat up the flue. I was just remarking on the fact that it would burn at all green, which pretty unusual among firewoods, not that I would recommend it.

ewdudley said:
jatoxico said:

Right, I said if you can get it lit it will burn pretty well green, but as you say, getting it lit is another matter altogether, and by the time you put enough air to it to get it to burn clean you send a fair amount of heat up the flue. I was just remarking on the fact that it would burn at all green, which pretty unusual among firewoods, not that I would recommend it.

Gotcha. I moved into my current house 4 yr ago and had a decent stack of unsplit locust left to me from previous owner. Split it up, looked dry enough and tried to use it in my open fireplace. Well I could not get this stuff lit with the entire Sundays news.
Since then by luck I have burned drier and now I've got the dry wood religion thanks to you folks here. My MM says my current locust splits are 18% or there abouts, still hard to light compared to oak/maple etc :shut: .

Nice job!!
I would suggest blocking between the longest boards to keep them from falling flat.
Good looking wood pile.

It should hold . . . but I would definitely split up the wood sooner rather than later and get the wood seasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.