Newbie - Buying a Mt. Vernon AE insert today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John97

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2011
Spring Hill, FL
Hi everyone.

I've been kicking around getting a pellet insert for a few years now. Other things kept taking higher priority (financially and otherwise). Recently, I became seriously motivated to move on one. I have a 2800 SF split-level all-electric house. I have dual-zone heat pumps and my electric bill is a killer year-round except for the spring and early fall when no heat or A/C is needed. So, I want the pellet insert to do as much as possible in terms of heating my house.

After doing alot of shopping and researching, I was thisclose to pulling the trigger on a Harman Accentra. Initially, I had been planning on going with the AE but one of the dealers I visited who sold both steered me away from it. Since I had concerns about the significantly lower output of the Accentra versus the AE I kept researching, and decided to give the AE another look.

Yesterday, I visited another dealer and became sold on the AE.

Later this afternoon, I am going back with the wife (for final approval of course) and get the ball rolling. Basic black would be fine by me, but of course she wants the sienna bronze color. As usual, she is good at making me spend extra money.

After doing extensive reading of this forum last night, I made some decisions.

1) I am pretty sure that a full liner up to the top of the chimney is the way to go. Dealer said only 5-feet up the flue is required but gave me the option for the full liner and corresponding price difference. My chimney is in excellent shape, don't think it's ever really been used. Had it inspected, cleaned, and capped 6 years ago when we bought the house. I built a fire once in 6 years.

2) It doesn't make sense to me to use inside air. Even though my dealer (like everyone else's) said an OAK not needed.

Any thoughts, comments, or last minute suggestions are appreciated.

Welcome.

Handfull of satisfied AE users here.

Looks like you did your homework.

The Enviro cast M55 is getting lots of attention here lately also.

Just remember no stove is maintainence free.

I have an AE insert and am very pleased. I am going to add an OAK through the chimney shortly. Do it up front -- should save you a lot of money (unless you want to get on your roof and install yourself). I've had no complaints with my AE.

In my opinion, I would install an OAK. If your home is "tight" you will rest assured that the stove is getting adequate air for combustion. If your home is not so tight, and you do not install an OAK, you will probably start finding areas in your home that are cooler as make up air enters your home.

I would also recommend that you clean any stove after burning each ton of pellets and run it on high 20-30 minutes each day during the heating season. A good surge protector is also a good investment.

I am a firm believer in using the leaf blower trick. There are plenty of posts on here describing how this is accomplished.

Good luck and welcome to the club.

smoke show said:
Welcome.

A clean stove is a happy stove, amen brother!

Thanks for the replies...

I was looking into the Enviro. I actually have a dealer that is nearby, but I went there 3x last week when they were supposed to be open according to an ad they ran in the local community ad circular . The place was dark and nobody around each time. I gave up.

I plan on buying an ash vac along with the unit so I can clean it regularly. I'll look into the leafblower trick. After coming across enough pictures and stories, I clearly see that there is no such thing as too clean.

Its always a good idea to check with your local BBB. Most dealers are on the up and up however, there are always some that operate by the taillight warranty. Make sure that you find a reputable dealer before you settle on purchasing a stove even if you have to drive those extra miles. It will save you some grief in the long run.

The more maintenance you can do for yourself the better off you will be in the long run. As the old saying goes: "you must become "one" with the stove, grasshopper"

Thanks. I am buying the AE from a respected dealer that has been around a long time and has a few locations. They gave me the best "feeling" of all the places I visited during the process.

Just a hair under $4K for the insert itself.

tchdngrnby said:
smoke show said:
Welcome.

A clean stove is a happy stove, amen brother!

A clean stove is a happy and safe stove (it also heats much better).

Thanks again for all of the replies. I'm trying to figure out exactly how they are going to do the OAK, but that's what I want done.

As I had mentioned above, an ash vac is on order, and going to get other cleaning related items I've come across while reading various threads on here.

I don't think I can do the leafblower trick as my one neighbor is right on top of me practically. My chimney is not even 20 feet from his driveway. I envision his cars getting covered with soot/ash if I attempted it. I got enough problems with this guy already.

oldmountvernon said:
My dealer has the OAK on the same thimble. as far as the neighbor thats more of a reason to do the leafblower trick multiple times a year :)

but seriously you could attach the leafblower to a corrugated drainage hose and direct it where you want i would think

Understood, but I am wondering how they will do the OAK in the case of an insert - not a freestanding stove.

The drainage hose is a good idea.

They said it goes up the chimney, but I've read stuff saying there must be a height difference between the OAK intake and the insert's exhaust. If they run them both up to the top and cap the chimney, there wouldn't be a height difference. I guess I'll have to ask.

My insert is ordered, install date is December 22nd.

Ordered the unit in the sienna bronze color, with full chimney liner, and OAK.

They run the OAK out the back side of the firebox, which is perfect because mine looks like it has a spot right dead center with a square brick that is just begging to be knocked out, like it's meant to be a cleanout or something.

I get a free ton of pellets, and am contemplating buying an additional 2 tons so I will be set for a while.

John97 said:
My insert is ordered, install date is December 22nd.

I get a free ton of pellets, and am contemplating buying an additional 2 tons so I will be set for a while.

Congrats on the install date, and the new stove. :)

As for the "free" ton of pellets, do you know what brand(s) the dealer has to offer?

If he has more than 1 brand, will he give you your choice of which brand you want?

Thanks. I can't wait.

Got a little delayed getting it finalized, a trip to the hospital due to a kidney stone can do that...

Luckily, I got one of the last installation appointments they had before the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.