Newbie Can't Keep Damper Open

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjdaley

Sep 11, 2007
Hello everyone! I recently moved into a condo (I am renting) that has a small fireplace in the living room. I have never seen a damper like this before. The "door" is a disk that lays horizontally in the ceiling of the fireplace. It has a bolt horizontally through the middle of it. The damper opens in the same manner like flipping a coin. There is a vertical rod or handle that is used to open the damper. My problem is that I cannot find a way to keep the damper open. Hopefully, the attached picture will help. I'm used to dampers that are relatively difficult to open, or at least work the same way as a plastic outdoor recliner (interlocking teeth). The vertical rod is not on any hinge, so it moves at an exact right angle to the disk. I can only move the rod to the left, rotating the disk clockwise. I can only open it so much before the vertical rod clangs against the edge of the flue entrance. However, no matter what, the damper just falls back into its closed position. It appears as if this is an intentional design due to the ease of the opening of the damper. I could push against the rod with a pencil and it will easily open.

Is the damper broken? Or do you think it is an engineering design where the flue opens by itself due to air pressure caused by a fire?

Thanks!
Chris.

Attachments

• damper.jpg
    damper.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 545
I've seem something similar to it before, but I thought the handle was supposed to pivot to the side, and I though the handle's position was what kept the damper open. I'd probably say there is something missing, or just plain stuck, preventing you from operating it easily. No - there's no design there that would have it "automaticaly" open with a fire

I certainly would not use it until you get it cleaned and inspected.... and fixed.... hopefully the sweep can tell you what's going on with it and offer some more suggestions.

Harley said:
I've seem something similar to it before, but I thought the handle was supposed to pivot to the side, and I though the handle's position was what kept the damper open. I'd probably say there is something missing, or just plain stuck, preventing you from operating it easily. No - there's no design there that would have it "automaticaly" open with a fire

I certainly would not use it until you get it cleaned and inspected.... and fixed.... hopefully the sweep can tell you what's going on with it and offer some more suggestions.

Thank you for your response, Harley. The handle *does* pivot to the side. However, it does not attach or connect to anything that I can see. I wish I knew how it was *supposed* to operate. Can you see anything in the picture that would indicate an alternate method of keeping the thing open? I can't see anything within the fireplace chamber where something may be missing.

I do not own the condo, so I'm not too concerned about the cleanliness - especially since the landlord isn't interested in having it inspected. I'd love to have a sweep take a look at it. I guess I'll have to call around to see if anyone would be willing to look at it and diagnose it for free.

I take it there is nothing protruding in the front of the fireplace and that handle is just a "manual" in case the other breaks?? Pulling stuff outa my A$$ now :)

Ok, looked closer and looks like something is broken off in the top of the fire place. Look closely in the circle.

Attachments

• damper.jpg
    damper.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 615
The shape inside that circle does look suspicious. I will have a closer look tonight. I've been trying to call around and it seems chimney service companies don't offer free inspection / estimates to renters. Grr. I'm in the Northern VA area. Apparently, it's chimney season. It's hot and muggy out!

Many Heatilator units have dampers similar to that. There is a weight affixed to the low side so when you open it the weight holds it open. Maybe the weight fell off yours?

Well, it turns out the rod does actually have a hinge. I just couldn't see it, and it is not clear from the picture. All it took was some WD40 and now I can "push" the rod towards the sky and the damper opens all the way. And, yes, a chimney guy came all the way over to do this. I feel pretty dumb. :>

Attachments

• damper_open.jpg
    damper_open.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 374
cjd said:
Harley said:

Thank you for your response, Harley. The handle *does* pivot to the side. However, it does not attach or connect to anything that I can see. I wish I knew how it was *supposed* to operate. Can you see anything in the picture that would indicate an alternate method of keeping the thing open? I can't see anything within the fireplace chamber where something may be missing.

I do not own the condo, so I'm not too concerned about the cleanliness - especially since the landlord isn't interested in having it inspected. I'd love to have a sweep take a look at it. I guess I'll have to call around to see if anyone would be willing to look at it and diagnose it for free.

Well hopefully you should be concerned about the cleanliness to some degree - enough that if you use the fireplace, you will get it swept once or twice a year. Not because you give a d__m about the landlord, but because chimney fires are a nusiance at the best and can burn down the place, with YOUR stuff in it at worst...

BTW, if you are renting, I'd verify with the landlord that it is OK to burn in the fireplace first - it is possible that his insurance doesn't cover it, and he would prohibit tennants using the fireplace for his own protection - this isn't unusual.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.