Newbie Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerfx4man

Dec 7, 2011
central ny
Here's my first post, I have been roaming around this forumn for a few weeks. I just bought a house and a pellet stove to put in it. The house has a brick faced wall in the living room with a 6" thimble and a clean out door below it for a wood stove. I want install my pellet stove in the same place. There is a brick chimney, that i want to run my vent pipe in thru the existing 6" thimble. My question is that when I removed the cap plate that was installed over the thimble when the wood stove was taken out, I looked up and about 4 to 6 inchs up from the thimble is some sort of grate. what is this grate and is it removable so I can run my vent? I tryed searching and I can't figure it out. The stove I bought was a USSC 5500M from TSC.

Hi rangerfx4man. Is there anyway you can post a picture of the intended install location and the grate? Pictures are always a big help for questions like this.

Perhaps something to keep animals from getting into the stove. They end up in the strangest places. A picture would help.

Alright, I will try to get some pictures posted. As far as keeping animals out, I don't think thats what it's for. It just doesn't make sence. The oval shaped holes in the grate are 2 1/2" by 6" to 8" long, spaced about 1/2" apart. Plus there are 2 dead birds in the clean out, so theres enough room for them to fall through the grate but they can't fly up to it a get back out. If it was to keep out bigger animals like raccons, you would think it would be at the top of the chimney to keep them from even getting in there in the first place. My chimney is made of brick with a clay liner and its about 10' to 12' tall. the chimney is also stepped halfway up, so about 3' wide at the bottom then going to 1' square the rest of the way up. I thinking it either some sort of a baffle, chimney damper or a support for were ther chimney steps.

rangerfx4man said:
Alright, I will try to get some pictures posted. As far as keeping animals out, I don't think thats what it's for. It just doesn't make sence. The oval shaped holes in the grate are 2 1/2" by 6" to 8" long, spaced about 1/2" apart. Plus there are 2 dead birds in the clean out, so theres enough room for them to fall through the grate but they can't fly up to it a get back out. If it was to keep out bigger animals like raccons, you would think it would be at the top of the chimney to keep them from even getting in there in the first place. My chimney is made of brick with a clay liner and its about 10' to 12' tall. the chimney is also stepped halfway up, so about 3' wide at the bottom then going to 1' square the rest of the way up. I thinking it either some sort of a baffle, chimney damper or a support for were ther chimney steps.

This is why pictures help, raccoons would likely be able to haul their sorry buts back out. Around here they best keep their distance as it is a no raccoon allowed zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.