Newbie draft question..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2007
Chelmsford, Ma
Hey guys,I just installed a englander 30 in my double wide, I have 6 ft of stove pipe and then 6 ft of chimney pipe (double walled).All of the chimney pipe is going out the roof being its a cathedral ceiling..when i was cutting the hole in the floor for the external air pipe ,i notice that the air was really coming through like a breeze. not sure if that matters or not.just wondering with such a short chimney will i have enough draft..

ya i think that should be fine...im sure it will work very good....lol

FJLayes625 said:
Hey guys,I just installed a englander 30 in my double wide, I have 6 ft of stove pipe and then 6 ft of chimney pipe (double walled).All of the chimney pipe is going out the roof being its a cathedral ceiling..when i was cutting the hole in the floor for the external air pipe ,i notice that the air was really coming through like a breeze. not sure if that matters or not.just wondering with such a short chimney will i have enough draft..

Where is the air coming though like a breeze?
12 isn't too bad, you will know if it drafts decent when you get her going.

That's almost exactly what I have, and it's generally always sufficient. On warmer days, it might take a little longer with the door cracked to get the draft rolling, but that will only be a problem on cold start ups.

when i cut the 3" hole in the floor for the fresh air intake..the air from the outside was coming up so fast and hard the saw dust was flying up about feet in the air..its a mobile home so all i had to do was cut the hole in the floor and that is outside air..

Either there was a good wind or you have negative pressure. If you have a bad negative pressure you might have to crack a window to get the draft going. The outside air kit should help to keep the presure balanced though.

I've only got 10' of pipe on mine, and have never had a problem : )

there was no wind..i thought that would be good if the air was coming in good...cause thats what its there for ...im just glad its not sucking in...then i would really have a problem

I'm confused, if there was no wind, it does sound like it was being sucked in. Do you have a whole house ventilation system installed? Was a clothes dryer going or bath fan?

we have a forced hot air furnace..maybe thats it...not sure..

Status
Not open for further replies.