Newbie - First day of serious splitting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

littlalex

Oct 6, 2007
Hewitt, NJ
Greetings all - Nice and cool here in the Jersey "Alps" so I took out my new X25 to do my first serious day of splitting.

Working with mostly rounds from a 60-70' dead Ash dropped in my yard a month or so ago (been dead standing for a while).

Took the largest piece of Ash as my manly intro work. 15-16" round cracked with two whacks...yeah - fears of the other pieces defeating me fade.

Was pretty easy going (for a 64 yr old sedentary guy with an ample middle). Got a good sweat going and got into a pretty good rhythm. Learned a few things that I did not get from reading here (which was most everything else). I was a bit surprised how easily my aim came, regardless of the size of the round. I attribute this partly to the nice balance of the Fiskars. I was a bit surprised that most of my trouble rounds were not the larger ones but mostly smaller pieces about 6." wasn't a matter of striking the wood on target but more about force used. I had as many pieces that size that took more than one strike as 12"+ pieces. With some more practice I'm sure I'll figure the power needed for those pieces.

I also had a few old Oak rounds 16-18" that were here when we moved in 4.5 yrs ago so these were at least five years dried. I've read some of the debates about cutting wood wet or aged and which Is easier. I had NO experience splitting Oak PERIOD. But after taking the Fiskars to these puppies I would have to guess I would fall into the fresher is easier category. Either that or Oak is not for out of shape old guys to split. They scoffed at me and my tool. I dealt them some serious flesh wounds but I suspect, though dead, they will recover. They now are resting in the later pile, for when I have a wedge to assist me.

The wife offered to stack the wood as I was splitting but I declined...my best feeling was watching the split piles grow around me.

I saved the biggest piece for my last triumph of the day. Another lesson learned here. Round was about 13" and about 18" long and the other end was cut at the juncture of two large branches so there were two 8" branch stubs forming the other end. Think of a giant slingshot with everything cut down to the smallest
size. I hit that piece 16 times with minimal effect. I assume there are serious wood grain issues in a piece like that. Also tossed into the later pile, I think probably for butchering with the cs if I ever I the get parts I ordered to fix the 16" electric.

Keeping the faith in the wilds of Joisey,
Littlalex

Sounds like you had a great day. Let us know how you feel tomorrow. :)

Ash is one of the easier splitting woods. Great for a newbie. Crotches are always the most difficult no matter the speices. I either use the saw or toss 'em in the woods if I can't crack 'em in a few tries.
I also work with a Fiskars. I have the older Fiskars 4 1/4 lb Super Splitting Axe, and 2 1/2 lb Pro Splitting Axe. They are fine tools that, with their lower weight, sharp edge, and super balance, allow for some precision work.
Sounds like you are off to a good start. I hope I am still out there splitting wood 23 years from now.

FBF - thanks for the old guy boost, and glad to know what a "crotch" is. a lot easier than my description for sure. I'd better be alright tomorrow, ain't got any horse liniment here 8^)

Splitter - Thanks. It was. I will certainly will next time. Just wanted to feel the pile grow around me the first time.

Cheers,
Littlalex

Yeah, it'd be nice if oak and hickory and ash were all shaped liked coconut palms: all the branches at the top, so no crotches!

Any pieces that are very large, near impossible to split, but COULD fit in the stove (i.e. if the stove only had a bed of coals on it) - I shave some of the bark off of them to let them season and put them aside. They make outstanding all-nighter pieces for long burns.

For crotches, I found that you can split them with an axe if you focus on splitting the outside of one of the Y ends instead of focusing on the unified end. So I'll break the Y ends in half using the axe and it usually works. You can't (easily) split a crotch by either hitting the middle of the Y or hitting middle of the wide end. By focusing on splitting the 2 ends of the crotch side, you wind up getting 2 smaller splits off each side and one large round that is now exposed on 2 sides - again, a good piece for an overnight burn.

Glad you had a good time splitting. I love splitting this time of year. Just feels right.
Sounds like that oak may have just started to go punky at the ends. A little softness can absorb much of the splitting force.
Some unique splitting strategies that work for me with the Fiskars: some surprisingly big crotches will split right down the middle with this axe, not always, but often enough that I will try a few big 'crotch shots' before moving on. I've never had luck trying that with a maul or regular axe.
Also, on those small rounds I often lay them down & split them from the middle, seems to work with the Fiskars.
Take it easy on those shoulders man, a little at a time gets it done just as well as a few big days, and you can still get your shirt on the next morning, lol.

Littlalex, it is good that you can still swing that axe and I encourage you to continue doing it as long as you are able. It is a great workout for the upper body and the heart too. Maybe you can match the old fellow we had living close to us. He not only split his wood with an axe but he also cut all his wood with a crosscut saw! He finally stopped somewhere around age 90. He was in pretty good shape for an old fellow.

Gents - Thanks for the support; and the cautions about going too hard. perhaps I shouldn't have used "day" of splitting in my post title. I was only at it for about 3.5 hrs. and that included three ten minute + breaks to suck wind and hydrate.

Smoked for 45+ years (avg 3 packs a day for most of it). Quit three years ago come Nov. Given that, I'm pretty amazed at what I can do now (also lost 40+ lbs recently).

I'm taking it slow and easy and fully expect before Winter hits full on to be in better shape than I have been for 30 years. Praise the health benefits of burning wood! (and having two young and rambunctious Aussie Shepherds that have to be walked a couple of times a day). Luckily for me, they spend a good deal of time tear-assing after eachother around the property during the day. They are an active breed indeed.

Thanks again for the comments.

Littlalex

Good technique helps in transmitting the most power possible at impact. At the top of the swing, your arm and the axe handle form a 90* angle. As you swing your arms down, don't lose that angle by trying to force the head of the axe into the wood (In golf, this is known as "losing your lag" or "casting the club.") Instead, just swing your arms down and let centrifugal force bring the handle into line with your arms at impact. I like to grip as light as possible which lets the head of the axe slam into the wood with maximum force, and transmits much less shock to the hands.

joefrompa said:
Any pieces that are very large, near impossible to split, but COULD fit in the stove (i.e. if the stove only had a bed of coals on it) - I shave some of the bark off of them to let them season and put them aside. They make outstanding all-nighter pieces for long burns.

For crotches, I found that you can split them with an axe if you focus on splitting the outside of one of the Y ends instead of focusing on the unified end. So I'll break the Y ends in half using the axe and it usually works. You can't (easily) split a crotch by either hitting the middle of the Y or hitting middle of the wide end. By focusing on splitting the 2 ends of the crotch side, you wind up getting 2 smaller splits off each side and one large round that is now exposed on 2 sides - again, a good piece for an overnight burn.

+1. I never try to split those pieces at the unified section - it is virtually impossible in the bigger logs if you're splitting by hand. I always try to split each of the ends like Joe says. If the piece is small enough it goes in the stove. If not it goes in the campfire pile. And if I have too much in the campfire pile I'll use the chainsaw to cut it in half. Much easier than trying to break those crotch pieces apart!

I split with hydraulics, but once in a blue moon I'll dig out my ax and just whack the wood (it's good therapy) . . . splitting with hydraulics or with a hand tool is always easier with ash -- you give it a dirty look and it almost splits itself.

Firefighter - I think that losing my cherry on Ash is spoiling me, especially compared to my experience with the bit of old Oak in my pile.

Littlalex

If your sides don't hurt a bit the next day or two, yer doing sumpin wrong ;-)

I work with a lot of Oak and my opinion is that it does get a bit more difficult to split as it dries. And white is more difficult to split than red. But it's all still easy.

And, FWIW . . . I've known a few Joisee Gurls . . . I would definitely let them them get sweaty working around me. Plus the air is getting cool, so . . .

Jimbo

Status
Not open for further replies.