Newbie Fisher wood stove question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tattoo410

Nov 15, 2012
Greetings,
I am new to this forum and to wood stoves. We have a fisher baby bear in our kitchen. I have been looking for a papa bear for our living room. So my question is I see papa bears advertised but the pics of them have double doors. It is my understanding that these double door stoves are Grandma and Grandpa stoves and are used for the fireplace unlike the others that are non fireplace models. Am I mistaken. Or are there papa bear double door stoves that are used without the fireplace. A non insert. Can someone please shed some light on this. I would like a stove for our living room but need to get the right one to be used with the exsisting chimney. Thank you for taking the time to read my posting.

You are right, the baby, mama, and papa, were single door stoves. The grandma and grandpa were double door stoves. You could consider the grandparent stoves "freestanding fireplaces". In other words, sure, you could install it in a fireplace if it would fit, but you could also install it as a freestander (unless it was an insert specific model) just like you would any other stove.

I have experience running a mama and a grandma bear. I believe the single door units to be a bit more efficient. The only advantage of the grandparent series, was that you could run it with a screen that came with the stoves so you could watch the fire burn if you wanted.

Welcome to the site!

pen

You are right, the baby, mama, and papa, were single door stoves. The grandma and grandpa were double door stoves. You could consider the grandparent stoves "freestanding fireplaces". In other words, sure, you could install it in a fireplace if it would fit, but you could also install it as a freestander (unless it was an insert specific model) just like you would any other stove.

I have experience running a mama and a grandma bear. I believe the single door units to be a bit more efficient. The only advantage of the grandparent series, was that you could run it with a screen that came with the stoves so you could watch the fire burn if you wanted.

Welcome to the site!

pen

Thanks for the quick reply. That is what I wanted to know. I found a Fisher stove. It is listed as a papa bear but has 2 doors. I just need to find the dimensions of it to see which one it is. I would like it to be a freestander as we would like it in our living room. She would like to be able to watch it as a fireplace. This is a great site. There is a wealth of information on it. I'm sure I'll be utilizing some of the older threads. Thanks for the welcome.

I think I watched mine about 4x with the screen. They are a great stove, and could heat a barn, but even with the doors closed I went though a lot of firewood. Open them up, and you better keep the logs handy!

pen

Welcome to the forum;

Yes, it's not you. People don't know what model they have. Amazing so many owners have had them for years and don't know what they have. That's what inspired me to start the Everything Fisher thread. Drove me nuts. Still does, especially since the information is now out there.

Bear Series are the single door, Fireplace Series are the double doors. Designed for fire viewing and good for getting rid of extra wood.

Dealers had these tags on the stove handles back in the day; :eek:

stickers and door tags.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.