Newbie Fittings & Piping Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twofer

Jun 4, 2008
SLP Michigan
Boiler

1. Can pex be used for piping the entire system or is copper needed?
2. What fittings are needed for the water connections to the EKO?

Storage Tank

1. What fittings are involved in modifying a propane tank?
2. Who would I call to have the modification done? Plumber or welder? (I don't weld)

Thanks in advance, I know these are very basic questions but I'm trying to find out who I need to get a hold of to do what and what can be done on my own.

Most people these days use pex for the long runs, copper or black iron for the connections to the boiler, heat exchangers, etc. Black iron is better (and cheaper) right at the boiler. Some people aren't sold on pex, but it works well if you don't let your boiler overheat.

The EKO has 2" connections, but they are threaded different than standard 2" fittings, so you might want adapters, which I think run about $35 for the pair. Actually, I wasn't aware that the threads were different and so I just spun regular 2" reducers to my EKO. They leaked slightly until the boiler got up to temp for the first time, and they've been dry ever since. Since it worked, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably save the $35 and do it the same way again (though I'd probably feel guilty about it; ignorance is bliss).

I can't help you on the tank question, but plenty of our members who have propane tanks can.

Forgot to add in the very frumpy diagram for what I had in mind for my system. This system will be installed separate from a forced air propane furnace. Everything will be installed in the basement in the same room except for the propane tank which will reside in the garage.

Eric, so the run to the propane tank might be a good candidate for pex?

I should have titled this thread "help me design my system". :)

Attachments

• heatingDiag.jpg
    heatingDiag.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 269
propane tanks come with standard thread fittings. the one I have has 1- 1"1/2 1- 1"1/4 on top and an 1'1/2 on the bottom . reducing bushings let you do what ever you want. I just finished piping my system with all black pipe and the pex connects as it goes out of my barn. I was told by cozy dave the two inch fittings off the eko are now standard. Im not sure but ? I just used dope on the male and female side, I guess time will tell. Pex works great for any log run, its cheaper and faster.I ran my whole house with pex ,every fixture is a home run to a manifold

Status
Not open for further replies.