Newbie from Mass. looking for tips.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NAUTIQUE

Dec 22, 2016
S.E. Mass
Hi all,
I'm new here & thinking about a Pellet stove.
About 5 years ago, during a renovation, I removed my old stove (Russo coal/wood).
It was located along an interior wall with a tee & vertical pipe straight up thru attic/roof.
(Thin wall black pipe to ceiling & triple wall thru attic/roof - installed probably 25-30 years ago.)

I'm thinking of installing a Pellet stove which appears to take up less space with less clearance requirements for the stove & base underneath.
(It will just be an additional heat source to run at night/weekends to take the chill out & reduce oil bill.)
I've started research on a few basic little stoves: Castle Serenity, US Stove 6041, Comfort Bilt.

I'm trying to understand if I can connect a pellet stove to the existing thru attic/roof pipe?
(and would there be anything wrong with the existing pipe being so old?)
What's confusing me is the "outside air pipe".
Since I'm not against an outside wall & have a finished basement below, how is this handled?
I did notice the Selkirk direct vent system, but unclear if that would connect to existing triple wall?

Any comments, suggestions on this install (as well as the stoves I'm considering) would be greatly appreciated!
:)

A 25-30 year old smoke pipe ! I think I would want it inspected by an expert
(in Canada that would be a WETT teck .)
OAK (outside air kit ) Some people have them some don't
Lots of pros and cons on this site . I have burned both ways and
found no difference
Stove Buy what the better half likes happy wife happy life

For the Selkirk piping you are referring to, you would have to buy all new Selkirk direct temp pipe ... it is a double wall pipe that allows fresh air to be pulled into the stove from the gap between the inner and outer walls of the pipe.

For a stove centered in a room, you could run an OAK down in between floor joist and to an outside wall but that would depend on what the ceiling construction is in the basement. If suspended ceiling, not so bad ... otherwise likely not worth it.

There are fans here of the Serenity and the US stoves; few Comfort Bilts.

Reactions: NAUTIQUE
The Serenity has many happy campers. Just research and read up on all the stoves you are considering. If your 25 year old existing pipe is stainless it is fine. If not check it out. As for the OAK you do not have to have one per se. Or they make the pipe that Lake Girl mentioned that does both the exhaust and the outside air intake.

I haven't done it but there are many that just tie their pellet exhaust pipe into existing chimneys via the correct adaptors etc;

You can research each stove in the search bar here and by just Googling said stove. Tons of info out there on the interwebzzz. There are also reviews of said stoves on sites where they sell them.

Reactions: rich2500
My bad. I see where you already know about the direct vent but as Lake Girl mentions you'd have to run all the way out. Not just tie into existing. If you tied into your existing the exhaust and fresh air would lose their separation likely just sucking exhaust into the fresh air return.

Given your situation I'd pass on the OAK unless you can find a decent route to run it.

Thinking about your interior setup I would just tie into you chimney if it's in good enough shape and do without the OAK for this season. Then if I wanted the OAK I would get creative or figure out a good or easier way to get it. More than a few ways to go about it probably.

Thanks so much for the replies!
Soooo... If I wanted to go with the Selkirk from the start, it would be new piping from the stove all the way up through roof. Or, Just connect basic pipe to the existing triple wall pipe & don't worry about the OAK for now.

Now, if I needed to add a OAK at a later time, do I have this right? -
I could run a flexible vent pipe down through floor, across basement between joists (approx 6'-0") to outside wall, over top of foundation, & out through the outside wall? (this would place the vent about where an outside water spigot is - maybe 2' off ground behind some bushes)
Does that sound doable????

Stove wise, I think I'd be leaning towards the Castle Serenity.
From what I've read, It seems like it would fit my needs of low price, small pad footprint, easy install, easy use. (Again, just used as secondary heat source to make house cozy on cold nights & weekends - not required to run full time all winter.)
Any other similar stoves I should look into?

Another stupid question - Is an electrical outlet needed right at stove or could an extension cord be used?

Any other similar stoves I should look into?

Nope the Serenity is your best bang for your buck.

Reactions: NAUTIQUE
You can use an extension cord (correctly sized)
Don't forget a surge protector !

For the OAK I believe that you can run into attic. I know on HVAC you can pull fresh air for a gas furnace from the attic space as long as it has vents to the outside to draw air in.

Status
Not open for further replies.