Newbie Help ~ Frontier Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hct4all

Mar 28, 2010
Western, PA
Good afternoon. I "found" a Frontier wood burner on the local craigslist, but want to consult more knowledgeable folks before I purchase. I am purchasing it for my cabin in Northern PA. It will be used about 20 times per year. I like the size and the looks of it but I have not been able to find out any info about it on the net. I do not want to get a "smoke dragon" as I have heard some of the stoves called on this site! It is a Frontier Model IL-30-8.
frontierstove.gif

So the specific questions are?

Is this a good stove for the application?
What is it worth?

Thank you!

Rick

This looks like one of the many copies made of Fisher stoves, possibly in the late 70s or so? Fisher was an excellent stove for it's time but they quit making them after the EPA rules became stricter. Most folks do refer to anything that doesn't qualify under current EPA standards as a "smoke dragon" and certainly they will consume more wood and pollute more than those newer stoves. But there are ways that you can burn stoves like that to be more efficient, (there are videos on youtube and etc.) and there are plenty of folks who would not trade their fisher (or other) stoves for anything! Check out Coaly's "everything fisher" thread for example!

HOWEVER, if you really don't want a smoke dragon, and depending on what the folks on CL are asking for the Frontier stove, you might be better off trying to take advantage of some of the sales on Englander/Summer's heat EPA certified stoves at the box stores (lowes, home depot, etc) right now. People on here often get those stoves for a song, prices that definitely rival what folks on Craigslist ask for 10, 20, 30 year old stoves!

Thanks guys. I am going to take a look at it. I am intrigued. I spoke to the gentleman today and he said that the manual states approved for mobile home use. 12" clearance from combustibles. Might be perfect for camp. I will let you know. Best regards,

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.