Newbie help! Which adhesive?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

englishrose

Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2008
Lancashire, England.
Thank goodness I have found this forum. You sound like you really know what you are talking about.

We have recently had a stove fitted in our lounge. We had an open fire for many years but 11 years ago we had an electric fire fitted. Now we have opened up the space again and had a multi fuel stove fitted. The sides and back are made up of brick covered with fire resistant plaster board which has been plastered over. We have found that the wall gets very hot despite having the correct space around the stove. Would it be any better if we tiled the walls? If so what adhesive would you suggest? The heart is just concrete with slate tiles.

I would be really grateful for any help.

Tiles will get hot also.

For tiles you will need a high quality latex modified thinset mortar.

What is wrong with the plaster it should never burn, we used it in electric shop when making wood burning tools next to the glowing wire when I was a kid at school.

These people know tile
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1

It's unlikely there is any danger from your present setup, especially since you've met the clearance requirements. The surface, whether plaster, tile, whatever, does, however, transfer heat to whatever is behind it. The ideal wall includes an airspace behind to dissipate heat.

If you can hold your hand against the plaster for a few seconds, your fine. If you can't hold your hand there at all, its taking in alot of heat. But with the fire rated & plaster I am guessing you would still be fine.

englishrose said:
Thank goodness I have found this forum. You sound like you really know what you are talking about.

We have recently had a stove fitted in our lounge. We had an open fire for many years but 11 years ago we had an electric fire fitted. Now we have opened up the space again and had a multi fuel stove fitted. The sides and back are made up of brick covered with fire resistant plaster board which has been plastered over. We have found that the wall gets very hot despite having the correct space around the stove. Would it be any better if we tiled the walls? If so what adhesive would you suggest? The heart is just concrete with slate tiles.

I would be really grateful for any help.

What stove is this? Does it have a rear heatshield?

If there are no combustibles in the wall within the stove manufacturer's minimum clearances then it should be safe. Do note that there are often two sets of clearances in the installation section of the manual. One set is for unprotected walls and the other is for protected walls. It sounds like your installation has unprotected walls. If yes, that is the correct clearance dimension to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.