Newbie Help XXV /M55 Cast/ P68 P61/ VF 55/ Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RCR

Nov 4, 2012
Been lurking here an awful long time. Wife and I will soon be purchasing our 1st pellet stove. I am very hands on and enjoy tinkering. I am also somewhat a pyro and also enjoy open fire charcoal ceramic grille cooking as a hobby , so I am considering the pellet stove as an alternate “hobby”. I do not have the set it and forget it attitude. I am looking for honest input that I am am making the correct choices in respect to our expectations.

Our home is a 5 year old tight, well insulated, 2 story colonial in northern Connecticut. (w/ oil forced hot air heating). We would like the pellet stove to perform most if not all of the heating task. We have about 1200 sf lower and 1200 sf upstairs w/ stair opening in the middle of home. Our family actually prefers to have the upstairs bedrooms slightly chilly 65 or 66 degrees or so. I may try to run the fan in out forced hot air to circulate and see how that works. We typically purchase 500 gallons of oil (for heating purposes only) each season.

Our reasons for pellet stove purchase.
Savings on oil
New hobby
Having a flame in our living room downstairs.

My stove budget without piping is 2400 bucks.
We love the look of the Harmon XXV and the M55 cast so this puts us in the used market /craigslist. Would need some luck also to find one in this price range this time of year.

We are OK with the look of Harmon P68 or P61. Probably better chance of finding one at our budget I would think.

I have a lead on a new leftover Vista flame VF 55 steel leftover this will fall in our budget . I like the idea of not needing a pad w/ this unit which will save a few bucks. But I am leery as this will be installed on a hardwood floor. Should I be concerned?

Due to the house being “tight” I am sold on the idea of an OAK. I am partial to the thimbles that incorporate the OAK IE Duravent and ICC.I am thinking the straight out install and the vertical rise outside the house (unless there is a solid argument for the vertical rise to be inside the house?) I also like the idea of the clean out T to be outdoors. The venting would be on the south side of the house which is the back of the house so the vertical rise outside is not going to be easily visible anyway. The wind being from the east or west would be the only issue I would think at the vent cap ?

Is it generally better for the pellet units I selected to adapt to 4” right out the back of the unit and have the 4” exhaust pipe throughout ?

Thanks in advance for any help and looking forward to jumping in. I am only used to slow cooking pork but I may soon join the ranks of a pellet pig.

Reactions: Defiant
I must say, you have had no comments because... I think you answered all your own questions.

The stoves you are looking at are Top Notch. Adding an OAK, running 4" vent (on a non prevailing wind side) As for the Hearth Pad, I know some say they dont need one. But I like them :)

Welcome to the Forums. You sound like you've done your homework ;)

Reactions: Defiant
Welcome and DexD X 2. Go the extra inch now, it will pay off in the future.:cool:

I'm so with you on the cast. I have a M55 FS steel, it's great. Our house sounds similar to yours, a bit smaller at 2000 sqft total, built in 2003 and tight.

The M55 heats it with ease. Looking back I wish I bought the cast just cause it looks so nice. But the $$$ is always a factor.

It looks like you're well on your way to a nice stove. When ya need pellets let me know. Though with a M55 it doesn't much matter. I'm burning nations (worst) choice and it's heating my house just fine on setting 3 and its 30 degrees outside.

Only comment that I can think of is you might want to consider the up and out route instead of out and up. That way you can reuse the wall penetration when you decide to change stoves in the future. Selkirk DT might be a good option if you go this route to avoid two penetrations.

I would call around and see if any stores have a demo model they are looking to sell... I just bought a demo GCI60 from a local dealer for 50% off (paid around $1800 for the insert itself after the discount) + install and liner..... and it still comes with its complete original warranty.I have had it installed for almost 2 weeks and am already enjoying it. Still playing around with all the setting and figuring out out what is what. I dont have an OAK but looking into it. I just rewired it last night so the power wire runs down through my
ash door in the bottom of the fireplace and plugs in, in the basement... so no shown wires in my living room!

mepellet thanks for the up and out option. I can now see how that can be a benefit. I think the exposed piping look on the inside looks authentic in some instances. pur pony will take your advise into consideration as well

Status
Not open for further replies.