Newbie here, few questions please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Killian-

Jan 18, 2018
Canada
Hi all, after spending thousands on propane during winter season, I have finally bought a wood stove.
I got a quote from a local dealer for a complete install that included a mid range pacific stove, hearth pad, and install. After looking at the cost of over 5k plus taxes, I'v decided to do the majority myself.
My insurer states that as long as I have photos and a WETT inspection done, I don't have to have a certified installer.
I have a fair bit of construction experience but there are a few things I'm trying to get clarification on and hoping you guys can help.

First off is the hearth pad.... I purchased a JA Roby Polaris wood stove and the the manual states the dimensions but not specify a R value. Hearth has to be 3/8 thick. ( all it says).

Any suggestions on the hearth? Was planning on going with dura rock and ceramic tile. Would doubling up the dura be a wise choice? Also what type of tile is the best for a hearth? (R value).
Sry guys not much experience in tiling.

I'm sick of the rising cost of gas and I really want to get this done.
So that's step one of my questions. Any information , suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks again

My pedestal osburn 2200 stove with an ash box under it does not get real hot under it. I talked to Osburn that makes it and they said just has to be fireproof under it in case of sparks or embers, but does not have to deal heat under it. It would be fine on wood with any fireproof material on top. So you might want to talk to the manufacturer.

I built a regular wood platform, and coated everything in dura rock. Just normal tile you get anywhere.. I built mine up like 6 inches or something too just because I liked the more pronounced look and feel of it.

If no R-value is required for the hearth pad, all you really need is a piece of durock.

No special tile is required but you should template the stove's position before you tile. Plan your tile layout so the feet don't fall on or near a grout line. Porcelain has a harder surface than ceramic.

For stoves with a required r-value on the hearth, people frequently use Micore with cement board on top.