Newbie here...Looking at buying a wood insert and have some questions????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bach

Oct 15, 2007
Central, Ohio
I was hoping to tap into some of the more experienced wood burners here to help me decide on what type of insert to purchase.

I have a new (built in '03) home that is energy star rated. It is approx 3500+ square feet. Really open floor plan with a masonary fireplace on the main level. Two story ceilings pretty much through out.
We purchased this home at auction and my wife is about to have a heart attact when she heard what our gas bill might be.
So I was thinking of using our fireplace to have an insert installed and supplement our heating bills.
My Dad used a wood stove back when i was a kid and I really enjoyed it, and I would like to show my sons how to use one also.

My questions are....
I'm not wanting to go "off the grid" or anything...just wanted to use it for evenings and weekend type stuff, and more when it's really cold here in Central Ohio...mostly January and Feb. Should I be looking at a insert that has the "stated" heating capacity of 3000 square feet or something more in the range of 2000 square feet?

Our furnace is a 90+. A salesman at a local stove shop told me it will cost me the same in firewood as it would in gas to heat my house given the fact that I have a 90+ furnace and energy star rated house, thats assuming I would have to buy the wood. Does that sound right?

I am looking at the PE Summit. Any suggestions? I like the idea of the "Extended Burn Time" as I might have to work some weekends and this might actually be something the Mrs. could do.

Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Jim

Bach said:
I was hoping to tap into some of the more experienced wood burners here to help me decide on what type of insert to purchase.

I have a new (built in '03) home that is energy star rated. It is approx 3500+ square feet. Really open floor plan with a masonary fireplace on the main level. Two story ceilings pretty much through out.
We purchased this home at auction and my wife is about to have a heart attact when she heard what our gas bill might be.
So I was thinking of using our fireplace to have an insert installed and supplement our heating bills.
My Dad used a wood stove back when i was a kid and I really enjoyed it, and I would like to show my sons how to use one also.

My questions are....
I'm not wanting to go "off the grid" or anything...just wanted to use it for evenings and weekend type stuff, and more when it's really cold here in Central Ohio...mostly January and Feb. Should I be looking at a insert that has the "stated" heating capacity of 3000 square feet or something more in the range of 2000 square feet?

Our furnace is a 90+. A salesman at a local stove shop told me it will cost me the same in firewood as it would in gas to heat my house given the fact that I have a 90+ furnace and energy star rated house, thats assuming I would have to buy the wood. Does that sound right?

I am looking at the PE Summit. Any suggestions? I like the idea of the "Extended Burn Time" as I might have to work some weekends and this might actually be something the Mrs. could do.

Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Jim

For your situation, get the biggest stove you can find. A PE Sumit is a very good stove, and you should get solid 8-10 hour burns out of it depending on the wood you use. For your use, you're likely to burn 3-4 cords of wood a year, and at about 175/ton, it's a lot less than the gas.
Also look at the large Lopi, Osburn, and Country stoves. Really, there are a lot of good ones, and the one that fits the decor is probably the best stove for you.

Other than a thread on dutchwest last year, there aren't too many complaints on stoves not working or having problems.

My wife was skeptical on using the stove at first too, but they really are easy, and now she keeps our stove going even if I"m away for a week. If she's not the type to pay attention to details, I'd avoid a CAT stove, but the one's I mentioned fit that bill.

We live in NE Ohio and have a PE Pacific insert. We have been very happy with the unit - used it last winter to supply ~70% of our heating needs. If we load it up before bed (10pm) and turn the oxygen down to low there is a nice bed of coals still glowing at 6am. As already mentioned, get the largest unit you can give the size of your home. Regarding wood cost, if you don't mine some work you can get most of your wood for free.

A wood stove is a local heat kind of thing, so that it's nice and cozy by the fire, while other areas might be kept cooler.
Also, in case of a power outage you can have some backup heat (although with an insert, a fan is more necessary).

You might want to check out the Quadrafire 5100i to heat such a large home.I believe you'd save money by heating with wood,especially if your wood is free or could be scrounged or even bought at a decent price.

Basically we need to know your fireplace measurements h/w/d We need to know your current size clay flue liner size and if you fireplace is exposed to an outside wall
after we digest that info then we can make suggestions and figure out the largest capacity fire box that can fit your existing opening.

Makes no sense telling you how great a PE Summit is, if it won"t fit

Another point of consideration if you modern house is tightly built ,what ever insert you purchase you may need one that has outside air capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.