Newbie here looking for advice. I have a 11 year old Jotul Firelight 12 in need of lots of parts. Re

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jay3000

Jul 30, 2008
Greensboro, NC
Nice place by the way. Glad to have somewhere I can ask a question.

OK. Jotul Firelight 12 Cat stove. Big beautiful stove. Dark blue with matching pipes. Needs about $800 or more worth of parts. (still waiting for total costs, if all of the parts are even available)

Burn plate
inner back plate
catalyst
catalyst chamber
catalyst cover
bottom cat chamber
Log retainers
All of the rope seals

This stove has had issues from day one with the catalyst. It was replaced twice under warranty. THe catalyst chamber has been in need of rerplacement for years. The back burn plate has cracked twice before and been replaced. The catalyst chamber cover has been replaced at least twice because the back burn plate warps and breaks it in two.

I honestly think this is just a poorly designed stove and I will always have issues. I like the top load design. The rock enclosure was designed around that feature. It kind of curves around the stove. I suppose I could do a right load stove if that had to be.

At what point do I jump ship and buy something else? And then, What do I get. Is it worth rebuilding again?? It's a beautiful stove. It's installed, but I'm going to be in the same spot several years down the road. The material that surround the catalyst can't stand the heat. The deisign doesn't stand the test of time..

Throw some knowledge my way.

THanks for your help
Jay

It sounds like you already made your decision....."a poorly designed stove and I will always have issues." Clearly, you don't believe another rebuild is the answer. Perhaps someone who knows that model can shed some light as to whether throwing more money at it is worthwhile.

Of course these things are usually about the money with me. If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably opt for a new stove. On a shoestring and if parts were reasonably priced vs. a new stove, I'd do the rebuild myself.

Major bummer Jay, sorry to heat about your issues. Anyhow, welcome to the forum. Have you leaned on the dealer for some help from Jotul? Sounds like they should provide you a new Firelight at cost. Based on your history with the stove, I wouldn't put another penny into it. Jotul needs to step up to the plate here and make this right.

elmoleaf said:
It sounds like you already made your decision....."a poorly designed stove and I will always have issues." Clearly, you don't believe another rebuild is the answer. Perhaps someone who knows that model can shed some light as to whether throwing more money at it is worthwhile.

Of course these things are usually about the money with me. If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably opt for a new stove. On a shoestring and if parts were reasonably priced vs. a new stove, I'd do the rebuild myself.

Actually, I'm leaning toward fixing it. It's so much trouble to move this one out and install another.

Here's a guy with another Firelight that needs the EXACT same parts as I do.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/9526/ Must noe be a coincidence..

Still waiting on a total from dealer. Any other places to check for parts????

I'm all for throwing good money after bad at hopeless causes- especially if they're fire appliances...

Seriously, if the same things keep breaking- then only you can say if you want to waste the money. It will cost you another $800 in 5 years- when you could have a new stove for that $1600 that is trouble free and more efficient.

BeGreen said:
Major bummer Jay, sorry to heat about your issues. Anyhow, welcome to the forum. Have you leaned on the dealer for some help from Jotul? Sounds like they should provide you a new Firelight at cost. Based on your history with the stove, I wouldn't put another penny into it. Jotul needs to step up to the plate here and make this right.

THe local dealership has changed hands since I bought this. I'm not sure I have much leverage with the current dealer. I'm really on the fence here. Seems a lot of money to spend on something with such a short lifespan. It hasn't been abused.

Remember that car that you had that you kept putting money into? "Oh- it just needs a water pump- $200, no biggie", "Oh- exhaust- OK- $300" etc, but it was a cheap car? This is worse. It's the same parts and you KNOW what's going to fail.

It hurts to feel like you've wasted money, but you will waste even more keeping this thing on life support- especially as parts get more scarce and expensive. Invest new. It will be cheaper and you won't be worrying about the next failure when it's 15 F outside.

Contact the new dealership. Tell them your woes and that you have documentation of at least one other case of the same issue. See if they will at least put you in contact with Jotul customer service. Let them know that you would like to remain a loyal customer, but they need to right a wrong situation. As far as swapping stoves, this should not be a big deal. It shouldn't take more than an hour.

If you can afford it I would go new stove all the way... Heck you could probably get a few hundred on craigslist for the old girl!!!

BeGreen said:
Contact the new dealership. Tell them your woes and that you have documentation of at least one other case of the same issue. See if they will at least put you in contact with Jotul customer service. Let them know that you would like to remain a loyal customer, but they need to right a wrong situation. As far as swapping stoves, this should not be a big deal. It shouldn't take more than an hour.

Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to see if my local dealer or Jotul will be of any help. If not, I'll look elsewhere for my purchase, just on pricipal alone.

At 475 lbs., moving this thing up a flight of stairs was a challenge with no special equipment.. My buddy and I barehandely carried it up and and across the great room. Must be a better way than that??

I have that same stove with the same problems. I sit here looking at the last invoice for my last rebuild in 2006 for over 1000.00 and I now need the two back burn plates again. two years later. Would I buy a new say oh let me think top load Quadra Fire if I had the money .........Yes and Yes .In the 10or 11 years I have owned this stove I have put the price of the stove back in parts. Jotul knows this stove is a lemon and dosn't care. My next stove will not be a Jotul . So why do I keep rebuilding it? My wife will not part with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.