Newbie here - looking for suggestions for new woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green_acres

Apr 11, 2011
Western WA
Hi everyone! I've been reading for a few months, trying to figure out what to do and finally decided to come out of lurk mode and just ask the experts!

I currently have a Country Performer woodstove - the tag says P4157 but it looks like a S260? It's a very nice stove but puts out way too much heat for our needs. It literally blasts us out of the room, even with a slow, controlled burn.

We're remodeling the room and are looking to replace it with a model - either free standing or fireplace - that produces enough heat to warm the room, but not blast us out of it. (We are removing the soffit in the photo to give us some more useable space to the right of the stove)

picture-uh=928073bd2e85cad8eb4d845d93470a7-ps=fbe313c61d82996b22af39bfacd9abd.jpg

Another view:

picture-uh=d02c89d9d36e1fefefc615f3be4fa1-ps=cba4aa2d5e34affb552857981a5496d.jpg

I like the look of the current stove, I just don't like the space it takes up and the fact that it makes the space so hot. Any suggestions? We've looked at the Morso and the Regency brands, but in talking to the folks at the stove stores, they seem to be more interested in making a sale than coming up with creative solutions for the space.

Oh, one more thing - since we have a tile roof, we absolutely cannot re-route the flue.

Thanks!!

The Country is a good stove and doesn't look too big for the area. If the gaskets are sealing it properly (you say you get a controlled burn) then you can just put less wood in it to control the heat. You don't have to fill it with wood. If you're using a forced air system also to heat the house then even a small amount of heat may overheat the room. Another stove of the same size probably isn't going to act any differently, so a small one would be the way to go. Regencys are good but very similar to the Country. If you want a cast stove, the Morso is very good. You might also look at the Hearthstone Craftsbury or Shelburne. Other steel brands I like are Lopi and Avalon, both from Travis Industries. They also make small units.

Greetings green_acres. I am going to curse you for the rest of the night now that that programs tune is in my head. :lol:

That should be a decent stove. Have you thought about keeping it? I would try blowing cool air into from the dining area to even out temperatures. A nice warm stove is a terrible thing to waste.

If you are looking for an alternative, I might consider a PE Alderlea T5. It's a more convective stove. The cast iron jacket will soften the radiant heat. Or consider a soapstone stove like one from Hearthstone or from Woodstock.

Or if you want to go smaller, the Alderlea T4.

Thank you for the recommendations. I contacted a dealer in our area and found that they were actually the installer + servicer for this unit for the former homeowner, so I am having them out to look at the space and make recommendations re: our options.

I do think a smaller unit is what we need... I can't tell you how much heat the Country puts out, even with just one log. I'm afraid it's going to melt my TV or catch my furniture on fire! LOL!

I owned a Hearthstone in one of our other homes and liked it very much. I may look at a soapstone unit.

The installer comes out Monday, so I'll let you know what they say!!

Have you tried burning say 3 larger pieces? They tend to burn slower and longer and should reduce the heat output from that stove.. Smaller loads will also help.. As long as your gaskets are keeping the stove airtight you should get a more controlled burn.. If you decide to replace the stove you may find a cat stove will give a lower heat level.. Woodstock at www.woodstove.com has some smaller cat stoves that look great and produce a more uniform heat.. Oh and btw welcome to the forum!

Ray

I'm agreeing with the folks that suggest changing your burn habits and keep the stove. Crack a window for a bit if you must. Seems like a lot of money about to be spent for a situation that can likely be solved with the current setup. Your stove looks good in the room. Unless you are just ready for a change and don't mind spending the $, I'd work out the problem. I just can't see a single log fire running you out of the room in the middle of the winter. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum Green_acres.

You once had a Heartstone stove so like Ray, I highly suggest you look strongly at Woodstock's stoves. You will find they are an excellent step up and the heat from the soapstone should not roast you out of the room. We love the Fireview but lots of folks like the Keystone which is a smaller stove. You will not find these stoves in any dealer's showroom but you also won't get a guarantee from another company like you will with Woodstock. They are so confident of their stoves they will give you a 6 month trial and if not happy they will buy it back. Although that does happen every now and then, it happens very rarely simply because they make such good stoves. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.