newbie here. question on maintenance cleaning out of ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tractorboy924

Jul 7, 2008
Western NY
ok so I got a new pellet stove and plan to start using for main heat source. moving from wood stove.

what do people typical do when doing ash clean out. Most of what I read says to clean out cool ashes, I plan to use a ash vac. do you shut down your stoves for a period of time for the ashes to cool. as they collect outside the burnpot do they semi cool down on there own. Unlike a wood stove where the embers are always hot and all in one burning area.

Just need/want some clarification of what people do to clean out ash in the stove.

Thank you all.

I wait for the stove to be completely cold. I only need to clean it out twice a year so it's not an inconvenience.

Once a week I let the stove completely shutdown, after shutdown I dump the burn pot into the ashpan and and then brush what little ash that did not go into the ashpan into the ashpan and then dump outside. Do a quick vacuum and done.ready to roll for another week.

Once a week I let the stove completely shutdown, after shutdown I dump the burn pot into the ashpan and and then brush what little ash that did not go into the ashpan into the ashpan and then dump outside. Do a quick vacuum and done.ready to roll for another week.

jackman. im not sure about time frame it allowing it to be completely cold as I would have concerns about temps in house dropping too much??

rich2500 so you can get a scoop in there to scoop your ash out of the firebox and into a ashcan. Looking at my stove I dont think there is enough room for me to scoop any ash out. Im sorta thinking im gonna have to vacumm it out?!
ussc king pellet. I like the idea of cleaning the bun pot too and the holes in it free of debris too.

I think alot will be said when I see how much ash it makes over time?! but Im sure I will have to do alot more than once a month?!

No my stove has an ashpan right in the firebox, it sits around the burn pot so it catches 95% of the ash.

ok same here......the ashpan sorta surrounds burn pot. I guess I will get it down.... just thought id ask and see what , how oftens are doing it.
First thing is everyone's stoves are different as to how often to clean. But the biggest thing to remember is that a clean stove will be more efficient and make you happy.

I've seen previous posts of the same stove and people having a lot of ash build up, to much for the feed rate. But those folks never seem to post back after getting some great ideas from the members here, so we don't know if it was how they were running that stove or if that stove itself actually makes a lot of ash because of design.

Unfortunately I would tell you to let the stove cool all the way before cleaning, yes you will cool off the house but that is the only way to really get in there and clean it good. I don't know what the interior of your stove looks like but if you look at my signature and see the link about cleaning my stove, that will give you an idea as what to look for in your stove for cleaning.

As time goes by and you clean the stove a few times you will learn what order to do things, what tools you need and will be able to clean it good in a shorter amount of time. It's all about learning your stove.

Also you should put your stove make and model in your signature line, it will help others I.D. what you have and give you better responses from those that have the same stove.

jackman. im not sure about time frame it allowing it to be completely cold as I would have concerns about temps in house dropping too much??

I always allow the central heating system to take over while the stove cools down for ash removal/cleaning .

My Harman stove came with a DVD that showed how to clean it. You can find plenty of videos on YouTube, maybe specific to your stove. Everyone has their own timeframe/way to clean their stove, but all agree that a clean stove is a happy stove. You will develop your own methods, tools etc. I can say that all stoves are not created equal when it comes to cleaning. My Harman requires much less and is much easier to clean then my previous Breckwell stove. People on this forum are very knowledgeable and helpful. Enjoy your new stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.