Newbie Here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

broccolishoes

Oct 19, 2023
Hello, I am very very new to the world of wood burning stoves. And I am newly reacquainted with a very chilly part of the country (northwest corner of Connecticut). So let the pursuit for a wood stove (not so interested in an insert) begin.
I would like stove to vent through the existing fireplace. Does the stove need to rear vent to accomplish this? And would the stove need to fit all the way in existing fireplace or can it sit more forward? I assume if it's more forward I get the benefit of the heat that radiates from the unit?
I will probably purchase stove online. Also, and here I cringe showing my inexperience, who do I hire to install? Is it an hvac person? And what I can I expect same to cost.
Budget for stove is approximately $1700.00 and I am hoping for a unit that has the tax credit.
Any and all info welcomed!!!!
Thanks so much,
Susan

20231019_085529.jpg 20231019_085556.jpg

If your not buying they a dealer and having them install it you would look for a chimney sweep to install. What kind of chimney. Your chimney also probably will need an insulated liner. Your price range start looking at drolet or Englander stoves. There are some good budget stoves out there. Do you have wood yet? You can very rarely buy fully seasoned wood, I know most sellers say their wood is seasoned but chances are it isn't. It generally will need a year or more to season before it is ready to burn.

A wood burning insert is also an option they go in the fireplace and usually have a blower to help move heat out to the house

I know, it makes sense, just not the vibe I am going for.
I have both. The selection of rear vented stoves or stoves under 28” is just not much. You can get a bigger insert than you can woodstove. You can run the insert without the surround. Honestly I just can’t recommend any stoves that would fit right now unless you went with a Jotul F45 rear vented to a clean out T connected to the liner. (It has a short leg kit and could get under the 28 inches. But you still might want a blower depending on how far out it sits.

401701CE-67CF-4466-A6C0-9FB88EBC7288.jpeg

Welcome, I'm an ex-Berkshires resident from down the Housatonic in Cornwall.

A freestanding stove will need to rear vent here. The budget is a problem factor along with the 28.5" lintel height. These days only value stoves are in that price territory and they are almost all top venting unless it's an insert. Take another look at EbP-s install. An insert doesn't need a surrounding panel.

You could always place the stove in front of your fireplace and run the flue back in above the mantle.

The picture is cropped enough that we can’t see flooring type or judge hearth width. You may need to extend the hearth away from the fireplace with either an insert or freestanding stove.

I am in the process of doing what you are seeking and installing a wood stove in an existing hearth. I have only 29” and as the house is of good size, I purchased a Jotul F55 with short legs. Yes, rear entry is your only option and you likely will need a liner as someone mentioned. Installing a liner alone is a costly endeavor as I found out so am doing it myself. Your budget will be a challenge for both a liner and wood stove to be honest, as the liner alone will run you from $800-2000 depending on height or chimney, insulated vs not insulated liner, etc.

First thing I would do is get a chimney sweep to give you an estimate for liner install and then you will know what stoves you can shop for from a pricepoint perspective.