Newbie here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Little D.

Nov 30, 2010
Ma
I am looking for a used wood stove that will please my wife, the bldg insp. and liberty mutual. I have limited space. I am not opposed to sitting it in the fireplace and using it as an insert. I understand that I will need some extra floor protection but am trying to stay away from extra mantel protection.

I have looked at some stoves and the U.L. plates state 36" from combustibles. Does that pertain to the floor in front of the hearth? I thought Mass law code was 20"? How about to the sides?

If using as an insert, is it required to be a certain distance from the interior fireplace bricks?

My fireplace opening is 34.5 W X 24" H

The fireplace back wall is 25" W

From the back wall to the beginning of the hearth is 21"

Hearth measures 16"

The wooden fireplace mantel is 42.5" above the hearth (even a jotul f100 requires 22" from the top of the stove to the mantel).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Little D

If it is an EPA model, the stove will normally need 18" of hearth in front of its door. side clearances to the nearest combustibles will be determined by the stove. Bricks aren't a combustible. Mantel clearance is not negotiable, though it can be reduced in some cases with a heat shield. You might consider a true insert. It could qualify for a tax credit in which case the stove and installation costs can get essentially a 30% reduction.

http://www.overstockstoves.com/50tnc13i--epa-certified-noncatalytic-wood-stove--1550131500.html

I don't have a lot of experience, but like BeGreen said, clearances should come from the stove manufacturer, not code. Code is a minimum, but each stove is different and each throws heat differently, so the manufacturer should provide clearances. Maybe an insert is the right choice, since inserts are designed to fit right into a fireplace, minimizing the space required.

Perhaps to clarify, for a self-described newbie: when Wood Duck said "code is a minimum", he/she is not saying minimum clearance. Code usually describes worst case scenario (maximum clearances). A few stoves may require more, but many will require less, as specified by their manufacturer. But as Wood Duck said, "...the manufacturer should provide clearances."

I would go with an insert, I don't think with that fireplace size you'll have alot of luck finding a stove that will fit insdie the fireplace. Plus as I just found out today, at least with Farm Buraeu they are much more leniant with inserts than they are with wood stoves. Luckily for me since I installed my stove inside my fireplace (I have a larger fireplace) they consider it and insert and there's no increase in my premium! :D Also as others have said each stove will come with it's own clearance requirements, mine for example has 14" on the sides and rear and 16" in the front to combustables, no listed clearances to non-combustables. Good luck;)

Hmmm; okay, the logical step would be to go with an insert, but if I didn't, does anyone know of any small older stoves that might work as an insert.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thanks again,

Little D.

Status
Not open for further replies.