newbie here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2011
shenandoah county
Discovered this forum a while back. What a great source of info! Fine sounding folks too! Just bought my first pellet stove; a used whitfield 1990 model in pretty fair shape. neede a lot of cleaning though. Thanks to you all I know what to do! About a week from install; putting it in front of former gas fireplace and adapting existing metal flue. any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum jerseybillfromva.

Gas vent is not suitable to use to vent a pellet stove. You'll need to run pellet vent in place of what you already have. Using the gas vent is a safety hazard.

Welcome to the forum jerseybillfromva.

As SmokeyTheBear states, use the proper vent. Better to be safe than sorry. If the stove needs to be inspected? They will not let you use it without the right vent installed.

Keep us posted and post a picture of your beauty once its installed and burning for you. We love pictures.

Thanks guys! good info. I described my plan incorrectly. No intention of hooking to gas vent, just using it to run proper vent thru to chimney cap. Will put 4" pl vent pipe inside 8" round sheet metal tube that is existing and extends 4' above roof line. About 12 ' from turn up chimney. Still fussing with way to close off opening where glass doors were and a clean out tube location. Does all that sound reasonable? Will be happy to post pics too!

Status
Not open for further replies.