Newbie how to begin? and Was it installed correctly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcollect

Jan 23, 2008
Garrett County, Md
was it installed correctlyI have my first fireplace insert installed. It is a Jotul 550. The directions are pretty much useless on how to build a fire! I have about 1/2 cord of dried oak that is either split or 4" rounds. I have lit two small fires to season the stove. Now I am ready to have a fire. I am clueless on what way to start a fire in an insert. Door open to start the kindling, then add splits or do I only use rounds. I have had a fireplace for twenty years so I know how to build a fire in the fireplace but when using an insert those methods didn't work. Any help would be invaluqable, especially a book on how to heat with wood. Maybe a title like " woodburning for Dummies"
Thanks Michael

Starting a fire in the insert will be similar to starting it in the fireplace. The fire needs fuel, air and heat. And the secret to easy firestarting is dry wood and kindling. I use cabinetry scraps, but there are lots of other sources for kindling. You may want to leave the door open a crack until the fire is burning well. That will supply more air.

The real difference between fireplace burning and insert burning comes after larger logs or splits have been added and the fire is going strong. At that point the door should already have been closed tight. Then let the firebox come up to temperature. A thermometer really helps here. Once the firebox is hot, one can reduce the air in stages, not so far as to snuff out the fire, but enough to keep the fire going with good secondary burn. This will take some practice as it varies from stove to stove.

There are several methods for starting a fire, you can try them all. The first is a teepee of kindling over some crumpled newspaper. Get that burning well, and don't add larger pieces until the kindling is burning well, then add increasingly larger pieces. Another method is to have a couple short splits (say 2-3") place parallel with the sides of the stove. Put some balled up newspaper in between the logs, and then criss-cross dry kindling on top of the log bed. A third method is top-down burning. A lot of folks are using this now with great success. Rather than describing, take a look at this video:

http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur/default.asp?lang=En&n=8011CD70-1

You might also want to search for links on secondary burning and also for Jotul threads posted by perplexed early this year. She was one of the first to burn in the C550 and asked a lot of questions about the stove and each stage of burning. Now she's burning like a pro.

Don't have any advice for you but wanted to welcome you to the forum. I am just over the state line from you in Tucker County. Happy Heating!

Thanks for the replies. After reading this forum I think I will be up to speed. The installer used flex all the way from the stove up to the top, of my inside chimney, and capped it off. He said no block off plate was necessary. He insulated the damper area and top with fiberglass, was this correct or should I also make a block off plate. I've read about this and or am just a worrywort. I think I got a great deal at the $350 installation price and a discount on the stove price. A total price of $3800, so I don't want to make him come back to do it over. BTW I have a double sided fireplace so working on it is a snap.
Thanks again for the great wealth of information!
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.