Newbie in seek of advice on Furnace..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ph1ngering

Oct 6, 2008
EAST COAST
First off what a great site, wish i had found this before, might have saved me some time and trouble.. :) I installed a wood burning furnace in the garage and have had some trouble with it. Wondering if i am on the rright track or not..

Its a wood burning furnace with a blower that goes into some duct work for the garage. It has a 7" chimney outlet, which i reduced to 6" that goes into a through wall triple wall 6" pipe, than the only goes up 36". My whole chimney is only about 6'-7' long tops, from the back of the stove to the chimney cap. let me know if you need more info..

I was working with what i had last year, i suspect i shouldn't have reduced it at all, until I go into the 6" triple wall chimney?

At any rate what is happening is i get a good fire going with the bottom ash door open, i then ash shut the door (damper on the ash door doesn't work). After about five minutes the stove is huffing, pushing smoke in and out of the fire box door damper. the chimney damper is wide open, if i cut back the chimney damper it gets even worse.

If i don't watch it closely i get a garage full of smoke.. Please lay it on me don't hold back..

Should i increase the chimney height to get a better draft? Currently if i open the firbox door i'll get smoke into the garage, so that means i am not getting a good draft right?

Moved to the boiler room for better response.

Did you check with your local inspector about this installation? Wood burning appliances normally are not allowed in garage installations.

FWIW, it sounds like the flue is much too short. Which unit is this and what does the manual say?

From your description it sounds as if you are cutting off the major source of draft/oxygen when you close the ash pit door. The draft on the ash pit door needs to be repaired before you try to use it again. Reducing the exhaust draft was probably not a good idea. The manufacturer put a 7" in there for a reason. If you're allowed to have a wood burning appliance in your garage and since you have a 6" chimney maybe you should get a stove with a 6" outlet?..Cave2k

its seems more like its starving for air. cause its not a burst its a huffing, constant in and out of the fire door damper..

At work, not sure on the make or model will have to look up at home. Its very similar to this, but older unit -

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_49197_-1______14239|14273|14276|21202|49197?listingPage=true&Special=false

Status
Not open for further replies.