newbie-insert installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doubleh

Dec 5, 2007
alberta,canada
hi i am looking at purchasing an insert for an old fireplace in our basement (early 70's). i have done a couple stove installations but not an insert. can anyone give me a list of specs i need to know? what i need to purchase? what are my options as far as liners? what is best? any general info would be appreciated. thx alot.

Welcome hh. A good start would be to read up here on the many responses given regarding basement installations of wood stoves. Just search on basement.

Basement installs can be tricky. If you can describe the setup and what the goal is, that would help. Are you trying to heat a specific room with the stove or the whole house? What else is running in the basement, dryer, furnace, hot water heater, bathroom fan, etc.?

i will search basements and read. we already have a stove upstairs. i am looking to get heat downstairs so i can rent it as a suite. There is a furnace and hotwater heater in an isolated room. the existing chimey is cinder and about 20' long. it has a fresh air supply already.

Status
Not open for further replies.