Newbie insights and questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

movemaine

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2011
Central Maine
movemaine.com
Hi All,

new to the forum and new to pellet stoves.

I live in Maine and the day before Thanksgiving we had a Harman Accentra insert installed in the bottom level of our tri-level home.

The Harman works great - heating up to 85% of our home (the back bedrooms on the third level don't receive quite as much heat, but I can't complain).

I will say even in the short time I've had the stove, I've noticed a considerable quality difference in pellets.

When Rocky's Stove Shoppe installed our stove, they had a backorder on Cubex pellets. They gave us a couple of bags, but I had to purchase some pellets from Lowes to get us through until our 2 tons of Cubex was delivered.

I bought 4 bags of Maine's Choice Pellets for the few days. In burning them versus Cubex, I noticed they produced much more soot than the Cubex. The glass was noticeably dirtier, faster, with the Maine's Choice Pellets.

Also, I've done a few cleanings at this point, and the Harman multi-tool I was given works well for the burn box, but an old paintbrush worked best for all of the other surfaces. Besides a shop vac, Does anyone have any suggestions on other tools/upkeep methods?

Also, the air in our house is now much drier. I was wondering, if I should put the humidifier in the same lower level as the Harman or put it upstairs near the bedrooms.

I'm inclined to put it in the room with the stove, but what suggestions do you have?

Thanks

The Harman tool is great for cleaning the heat exchanger but I prefer a large flat blade screw driver for getting the carbon out of the burn pot. I called Rocky's today and they quoted me $289 a ton for Cubex, and it sounded like they have some in stock. You also might want to try the Northeast pellets ($259). They were Maine's first mill and they were good but the place burned down. They rebuilt and are now in operation again. Rocky's told me they were comparable to Okanagon's ($300/ton.) The Maine Choice pellets you bought are garbage. As you learn, you'll find that you can find some pretty good pellets for a lot less money than you're paying for Cubex. The Harman stove will run just about anything.

Welcome movemaine,

Yes, pellet quality can differ greatly. Although many think they are all the same. I had to prove they were not. Even if it was just for myself. But I have shared with many here! Check the links :) Cubex did very well in my test and can spoil about any user! There are many sleepers out there if you do your homework. You can usually find a reasonable priced pellet that performs pretty well!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50101/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60581/

One rule we try to follow here is always try some before you buy a large amount. Gives a feel for what your getting with out getting stuck with a mess of fuel your stove doesn't like!

Enjoy your stove! Oh, many here are gonna want to see pictures of your new toy! ;-)

It's funny you mention Northeast pellets, as Rocky's told me that the Cubex were better so I held out until the Cubex were available. (Rocky's was supposed to deliver the 2 tons the day of install, but I think they oversold their trailer, so I had to wait a week.

The Cubex probaly are, but they're also $30 more a ton. I've been burning Greene Team from Lowe's the past 2 years that I've been buying for under $200 a ton with a military discount. They are a very hot burning pellet with low ash, but the price just jumped to $275/ton and I won't pay it. The Depot is selling Bayou pellets for $219/ton. I bought 30 bags but I've been mixing them with the Greene Team, so I don't have a good feel as to how good they are. Maybe other's on here do.

IMO, the Cubex are one of THE best hardwood pellets made. I just wish I could get them close to me.....GREAT pellet!

Oh, and as for a humidifier, you might consider a whole house unit like this.....made by Emerson, but sold by Sears too:

Attachments

• Console humidifier.jpg
    Console humidifier.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 258
Congrats on the install.. x100 on the pics. I have a Large Lasko unit and recommend anyone using a solid fuel appliance to get one. Buy one that fits the bill and can handle your sq footage..

Welcome to the Forums.

imacman said:
Oh, and as for a humidifier, you might consider a whole house unit like this.....made by Emerson, but sold by Sears too:

Our humidifier is a Vornado, which really puts out some air, but certainly isn't "whole house"...

Do you keep yours near your stove? or elsewhere in the house?

Here's a pic of the Harman

Attachments

• DSCN7557.jpg
    DSCN7557.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 216
j-takeman said:
Very nice! :)

Enjoy.

thanks and I'll be sure to read up on your analysis. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.