newbie learned to love 2 year seasoned wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcjohnston

Oct 12, 2009
Livonia MI
Last year was my first year with an insert (Lopi Freedom Bay) heating both floors of our 2250 sqft colonial. Found short burn times and was getting bummed about it, until I got on this site and found so may posters saying 2 years or better for drying time. So I got on board with that, and now have just experienced 8 hours on my first burn of the season last night!! The six splits ( neat term I picked up on last year here) of elm were still in tact this morning when I awoke, house was 73 on the first floor, 67 upstairs. Oh man are we gonna love the insert this year, for our coldest temp months I have 3 year old oak just waiting to go.

Welcome to the forum jc.

As I've tried to educate others, it does not matter how good the stove is or how beautiful the install, if you don't have good fuel, you are not going to get the heat that the stove is capable of churning out. 3 year old (or more) is the best.

I often wonder what people would do if they tried running poor fuel oil or propane through their furnace? Who or what would they blame? It's in the fuel...

that's good info- sounds like I'll be cutting and splitting 2 yrs worth of wood so I can transition to 2 yrs seasoned wood and eventually to 3. like you said- I guess I wouldn't put bad gas in my truck then blame the engine. Can't wait to get my "new" used freedom bay this week.

hey hardwood you will love that thing once you get it going, second night got 10 hours easily out of it overnight! These guys on here are wood gods all you have to is read and follow what they say. Now of course its not that cold yet, but when it is I dont expect to going to bed with it too warm anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.