Newbie looking at Woodburning inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxburyeric

Feb 6, 2008
Western Connecticut
I have been looking at lots of different pellet and wood stove inserts and even pellet furnaces over the past few weeks and I think I have determined that I want to get a wood burning insert to go into my masonary fireplace. I currently have oil fired hot air and A/C. My house is 2,550 sq. ft. in Connecticut. The fireplace is located on the side of the house in a two story great room that is open to the stairs and 2nd floor hallway (with 3 bedrooms off the hall way upstairs). The kitchen is opposite the fireplace end of the house but 1/2 open to the great room. Also the den and dining room are in the front on the house - open a little bit to the great room. When I first started looking it was at pellets to heat the entire house, then I deceided that pellets weren't as cheap as I initially thought and I would still be depending on supply/demand and would be at the mercy off the suppliers. My current thinking is to do a wood insert and use it to suppliment my oil heat. I would probably buy wood and cut my own. I certainly could collect /cut all of my own if I had the time and inclination to do so. Kids, work and golf tend to get in the way. So my question is which stove and why. I really like the looks of the Jotul and have thought about the C450 and C550. I also like the Country Stoves dealer - but have not read much about Country Stoves on this great site. The Country Dealer also sells Paciific Energy stoves - buts claims the Country Stoves are a little better. Being new to this I really don't know who/what to believe. I really don't like the looks of a flat back plate that most stove inserts have. What other options do I have? Also my firebox opening is 41 wide by 32 high so it looks like I would need an extra panel on most stoves. Thanks Eric

Seems like the big Jotul is worth considering. This is a new insert so we don't have a lot of data on it, but Jotul generally makes a good product. You might also look at the Hearthstone Clydesdale insert. Country is a good stove, made locally here. FWIW, the big PE insert has a somewhat cult like following here. Not too many unhappy campers with it.

Jotul 550 is pretty hard to find. I have been waiting two months for mine. It might be in end of Feb. Can't keep up with demand, I guess.

I was told they would be getting the C550 in next week - but there was no mention of delivery issues - who knows if I actually order one what they'll say. I saw the Hearthstone online and it looks nice. I do like the flush look a little better on the Jotul. Would the Clydesdale put out as much heat as the Jotul C550? and what is the real difference between the soapstone stoves and non-soapstone. I have read that they hold heat longer -but are there any other difference or considerations when operating?

well i just had one 550 come in today and should most likely have some more coming in the next week or two most are already sold. but the unit should do a good job for what you are looking to do.

I found Country Stoves to be a bit more competitively priced and also had very good dealer support compared to the other brands dealers around here. Very happy with mine, reduced my fuel oil by 90%!

Rox,

I'm probably going to get screamed at in here, for saying this stuff, but I thought I'd share my $.02. I'm in the same situation you are -- looking to cut down my crazy high oil bills. I got a Regency i2400 insert recently. the thing I wanted to share is that the wood burning lifestyle is a little tougher than I imagined it to be. It's harder to get good wood delivered (if you ever need to do so), chopping, stacking, hauling is all a little more work that I expected and the wood itself makes more mess in the house than I anticipated. Lastly, the insert does not heat as much of the house as I thought it would (better wood will help this issue).

Anyway, take it or leave it - just thought I'd share it. Good luck to ya.

jhoff, Thanks for the info. I am somewhat concerned about the amount of new work I will be creating, but I like to think I can handle it. The other way I am looking at it is that I will use it to supplement my oil heat and finally enjoy my fireplace. Although this can be a costly "enjoyment". The search continues. Jotul C550, Hearthstone Clydesdale and Country Canyon C310 are my current 3 top picks. Just trying to figure each one out. Thanks to all - Eric

jhoff said:
Rox,

I'm probably going to get screamed at in here, for saying this stuff, but I thought I'd share my $.02. I'm in the same situation you are -- looking to cut down my crazy high oil bills. I got a Regency i2400 insert recently. the thing I wanted to share is that the wood burning lifestyle is a little tougher than I imagined it to be. It's harder to get good wood delivered (if you ever need to do so), chopping, stacking, hauling is all a little more work that I expected and the wood itself makes more mess in the house than I anticipated. Lastly, the insert does not heat as much of the house as I thought it would (better wood will help this issue).

Anyway, take it or leave it - just thought I'd share it. Good luck to ya.

There is no doubt about it: Heating with wood doesn't come for free. We love it, but it's a lot of work. The wood is messy and it's a big project to get 3-4 cords stacked and ready for use every summer. There's also the issue of getting dry wood. Firewood is delivered in the early summer and by fall we have two 3 1/2 cord stacks of wood. One for this year and one for next year. The guys who sell it will always tell you that it's dry, and it rarely ever is. It needs over a year till it's ready to go, so buy green and give it the time it needs. Then there's the issue of learning how to run the stove efficiently.

Our boys complain when they have to carry up 26 pieces of firewood each day, but they never complain when they curl up by the hot fire and soak up it's scorching heat.

Rox

I have just gone through what you are going through. Process took me about 6 weeks to finally decide. I already have a Napoleon 1101 insert but it is undersized for the space I am heating. Make sure you pick a unit that is bigger than you want rather than smaller. You can always build a smaller fire in a bigger insert but you can't build a bigger fire in a smaller unit. Check out the size of your fire box.

I was torn between a Hearthstone Phoenix (was going to sit it partially in our fireplace) and the Jotul 550. What I liked about the soapstone stoves was how much longer they hold the heat. They take longer to heat up but will stay warm much longer than a cast iron or steel unit. The Phoenix lost by a small margin to the Jotul ( which will be installed on Monday ) because it doesn't have a blower and I would have had to do an extension on my floor to meet the hearth dimension requirements. Hearthstone does have an insert but none of the stores I went to had one and I didn't want to buy something I couldn't physically see first.

I was hesitant about the Jotul 550 because it is a new model but when I finally saw one I knew it was what I wanted. The fire box is nice and big. The air tubes are solid and easy to remove for the chimney to be cleaned without the whole unit having to be removed. Jotul's reputation helped quell my fears about purchasing a new model. I will soon find out how well I picked. It's all a learning process.

Yes, wood is work but for me the extra heat is well worth it. My house is full of 2 big dogs, 3 big kids and wood - we do not live in a show home. We live in a comfortable lived in warm home. The dogs love the wood chips! I space out the wood chores so it doesn't overwhelm anyone. We carry a bit in each day and always have about 4 days worth of wood inside. The kids split kindling about 3 times a winter and they do complain but eventually rise to the task.
When we get wood delivered I hire help to stack it. It all works out well and is worth it in my opinion.

Good-luck with your choice and enjoy your fires.

Thanks everyone for the advice. The search continues.

jhoff said:
Our boys complain when they have to carry up 26 pieces of firewood each day, but they never complain when they curl up by the hot fire and soak up it's scorching heat.

Wow. 26 pieces a day. I burn 9 a day on a cold day down here. I'm simply amazed at the amount of wood some of you guys burn. I am also very appreciative for the amount that you guys burn, using a renewable (and sometimes salvage) resource vs oil. I'm doing what little I can down here in the South but compared to you guys it just doesn't seem like much... One side note to my wood burning is that I see my folks more often as I have been cleaning up some of their loose wood this year. Next year will be different tho, I'll be fully stocked by june and ready for winter.

Jason

I just installed a Avolon Olympic in my house. I was sick and tired of paying for propane and landed a used stove. This week has been my first week using the stove and found out a couple things. For wood I am started using store brought wood. Cost me a pretty penny, but I needed something afte the install. The my father has been hunting oak pallets. He found a bunch the other day and today he got 6 more that he is cutting up as we speak. Over the last couple days I cut down a standing dead tree in my yard. I would say it gave me under a cord, but the wood burns. Goes fast but burns clean. (been dead since I moved here 2 years ago).

The insert will heat my entire house. My house is a contempary colonial with an open foyer. The lower level will reach 71 degrees and the upper will get to 69.

I enjoy cutting and splitting the wood. So for me it is not work, but fun.

Sure there is some mess inside. Wood pieces and what not. My dog does not help any with the mess, but it is something I can live with knowing that the propane is not being used.

Even if I had to buy the wood, I would still use the insert. Not even is the wood cheaper than the propane, but for me nothing beats a nice fire while relaxing in the evening.

jtb51b said:
jhoff said:

Wow. 26 pieces a day. I burn 9 a day on a cold day down here. I'm simply amazed at the amount of wood some of you guys burn. I am also very appreciative for the amount that you guys burn, using a renewable (and sometimes salvage) resource vs oil. I'm doing what little I can down here in the South but compared to you guys it just doesn't seem like much... One side note to my wood burning is that I see my folks more often as I have been cleaning up some of their loose wood this year. Next year will be different tho, I'll be fully stocked by june and ready for winter.

Jason

One 8-log load at bed time, another full load first thing in the morning, plus various logs tossed in during the day when there's not so much heat needed. Often we have a few left over, so they don't have to do the full 26 logs. It's good training for the kids, I just wish I could get them to do it without being told. They already get paid if they do it on their own, but most of the time they just don't care and put it off until there's no choice.

Eric-

I live in Connecticut too- just a few towns south of you. My wife and I have a similar size house, ~2400SF colonial. The 1st floor is pretty open, with a brick fireplace on the west side of the house. Our upstairs has four BR, one of which is over our garage on the opposite side of the house from the fireplace. It is not a particularly good layout for wood heat. We added a Jotul 450 last year and have been very happy with it. It keeps the first floor a nice 70 degrees. The upstairs is another matter- the best we can do during the day is about 65 degrees, though most of the time it's closer to 60. The bedroom at the end of the hall is closer to 55 degrees so we're forced to use our oil burner to keep it livable.

I'd recommend the 550 if you can fit it in your fireplace- the extra capacity will give you a great burn time and I think it throws more heat. My neighbor just had one installed on Friday- I'll talk to them this week to see how they like it.

Josh

since nobody else said it look at the PE Summit insert. I have a Summit stove and it sure heats well. Yes the PEs are expensive but they are good. You can get a nickle door and dress it up a little.

Fugazi42 I sent you a PM and crazy dan I did look at the PE stoves/inserts and it really came down to looks. I had several models that I was looking at and when I asked the Boss which one she liked the Jotul 550 was the only one. The flat surrounds on most inserts don't appeal to her and I didn't push it since I really liked the Jotul as well. At least she hasn't said no to the whole idea - in fact I was a little surprised when she was for it. I thought the wood mess would be a bigger issue. Thanks to all.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.