1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Newbie looking for a tax free weekend purchase CB or M55....

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by myhearthisonfuego, Aug 3, 2013.

1. myhearthisonfuego

myhearthisonfuego New Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    Alright what's up guys....I need to know what pellet insert I should be getting. Please chime in! I am looking to put in an insert in my 1600sf two story cape that is currently heated by LP hot water baseboard. I have some what of an open concept for more than half of my home where the stove should warm. I have a dealer that is located a few miles from me that we are going to purchase from, unfortunately they don't sell every brand, except for quadrafire enviro st croix regency Hampton and hearthstone. My question is which insert should we go with, we have been looking at the classic bay and the enviro m55 I know they are both totally different and priced different but these are what we are thinking are decent in terms of reliability. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences with those two brand stoves and can help sway my decision one way. Also I am not afraid to learn and tinker with a stove at all.......

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    When it comes to inserts, for me the deciding factor would be hopper size. I have a friend that went with a Quad Castille and he runs out over night when the weather gets cold.....I tried to stear him to the CB but the wife liked the looks of the Castille more. Any who....both are good stoves actually great....you wont go wrong with either one
  3. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    M55 is my choice over the CB1200...though the CB should be less expensive and is still a really great insert
  4. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    Just remember that tax free is only for purchases under $2500
  5. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Good point. Heck, I'll give 6.25% off any purchase just for buying...now that I think of it, what a scam!
  6. myhearthisonfuego

Loc:
    Central MA
    Yeah tax free weekend is crap I think it's rediculous for only up to 2500. But supposedly the shop is making it work with purchases.....and they are matching a discount after the 2500 so I guess I will see
  7. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH

That's TaxaChusettes! Our stoves are always duty free! 10% off stoves to forum members with our low overhead!
  8. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    We've got more coast line than you and a couple islands, so there
  9. stovelark

stovelark Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE CT
    Hi myhearth, can't go wrong with either stove. I know the CB1200 is about a grand less, but the M55 is a beauty. Both are good heaters. Don't skimp on pellet quality, no matter what stove you get.. Good luck
  10. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    That is way off topic Scott!
    Are you saying NH does not have Islands off the coast? LOL
    Ever hear of Star Island?
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  11. Aquion

Aquion Member

Loc:
    Portland, CT
    I got the M55 insert last year and have been very pleased with it.
  12. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    I have heard of Starfish Island...But I believe it is in Ohio somewhere!!
    DexterDay, smoke show and will711 like this.
  13. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    No I haven't and I lived on the Seacoast for 19 years:eek: . Every hear of Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket? How About the Cape? Technically, it's an island too!

[back to our regular scheduled programming]
  14. myhearthisonfuego

Loc:
    Central MA
    Alright I think I have found out more about coastline geography more than anything in this thread..... Does anyone have any problems with enviro in general.....please feel free to tell me some experiences.....
  15. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    CB oughtta be cheaper, it's easy to maintain, hopper is easy to load but can be tough to work on and is only controlled via a thermostat has 3 run levels and manual trim controls for feed only. If you have some amazing natural stone as yer hearth prepare for it to be scraped.

M55 is more bucks, quieter, big hopper, easy to load, perhaps nicer looking if you are into that sorta thing, rolls out to work and had a manual control feature as well as a thermostat and 5 run levels with digital trim controls
  16. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    My M55 has been great...
  17. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    The M55 had some issues with the convection motor in the early units. The motor coil was too heavy for the supports and would bend and then start to slow down which would cause the unit to over heat. That problem has been addressed with new motor which is now standard with the unit. Like any Enviro, the stove MUST have the draft set up to work properly....but I'll tell you than these things pretty much run best with a wide open damper. Overall, that's the only real issue. There are have been some other issued of the control pad ribbon not being properly secured and it hitting the new motor (rubbing) but that is knucklehead-who-put-in-the-replacement-motor-error.
  18. Redbarn

Redbarn Member

Loc:
    SE PA
    A good summation of why we love our M55. It has been great...
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  19. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    I think you are correct;)
    smoke show and Eatonpcat like this.
  20. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Loved my Quad Classic Bay (freestanding) but after over 5 yrs of heating, she left today.

Great stove. Super easy to clean. Easiest stove to operate on the market. But I wanted/Needed more.

Enerzone Eurostar to be installed soon :)
    IHATEPROPANE and Eatonpcat like this.
  21. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH

I agree, that CB1200 is an Exceptional stove! Easy to clean, easy to use and extremely reliable! I refurbished one and after giving it a good cleaning all it needed was just a paint touchup!