Newbie Looking for Advice on Wood Stove/ Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wb2glp

Hi All,

I, like many facing $5.00/gal heating oil, am ready to take the plunge and install a wood stove. I'm attaching a few pics for reference. I'm wondering if a wood insert or free standing stove would be better for me based on the size of my fireplace. Measurements are 41"x28". Home is 2 stories 3BR built in 1932 with air as insulation. The chimney is typical with a large removable damper.

This is a project I was planning on doing two years ago when three of my ash trees were hit by some insect or disease.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

John
West Orange, NJ

Attachments

• 927-small.jpg
    927-small.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 930-small.jpg
    930-small.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 941-small.jpg
    941-small.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 165
Welcome, John. You'll need to remove the kids first to meet clearance requirements. Looks like you have a covert operating damper there.

Either will work, but an insert may be a bit more dependent of the blower to get the heat out. There are many discussions here on freestanding stoves vs inserts. Try a search for freestanding vs insert for some forum discussions on this topic. Regardless of choice, both put out the heat and do the job if properly sized for the area being heated.

What is the size of the house and how large an area are you intending to heat? Is this an open floorplan or several rooms with doors on this floor? And is there a mantel on the fireplace?

Status
Not open for further replies.