Newbie-- Looking for big glass & warmth for 2700 sq ft home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did speak with the dept of energy here in oregon (people who process the applications for tax credit) and they told me that there were two options. The ones I listed above. So yes the connection to the hearth is a option. Not their 'preferred' option but a option listed in the rules none the less. And the inspectors go off the dept of energy rules. So I am thinking it is ok. But we will have it installed in the hearth so that if we had to install to the stove we can do that.
GOOD......................hopefully you will get an "agreeable" inspector?
What county you in?

Clackamas county
East side Metro.
We are west of Metro in the coast range @ about 650' elevation. As to 20's being the lowest temp in NW -- depends on where you live. We have seen 0's for a few days in the winter several times in that last 40+ yrs. Not common, but happens -- into the teens not all that unusual. (And east side of the Cascades can see some real nasty cold too!)

Oh wow! We are Oregon neighbors!
So did you guys get a Woodstock progress hybrid? What stove do you have then?

Yes we are east side clack county. Well that's true about temps. We just normally here don't get below 20s. At least that's where we are anyway.

You might get colder than you've been led to believe!
Stove in signature -- one of those (mostly) happy PE Alderlea guys from start of this thread.

Yeah we just haven't had a frigid winter here yet. So far it looks like just mild winters. Will see though! My kids would love to have snow here more than just a dusting....we had that last year.

OH ok, yes we had considered the Alderlea at the start. But I don't like the ash disposal system that it has. I like grates if we are going to have a stove with a ashpan prefer the grates on the bottom of the stove....

Yeah we just haven't had a frigid winter here yet. So far it looks like just mild winters. Will see though! My kids would love to have snow here more than just a dusting....we had that last year.

OH ok, yes we had considered the Alderlea at the start. But I don't like the ash disposal system that it has. I like grates if we are going to have a stove with a ashpan prefer the grates on the bottom of the stove....

Yea, the ash drop is a joke -- we have never used it, ever. Placed a steel plate over it on inside to level up with the fire-bricks & we just use an ash shovel. Of course, we were used to doing that for 30+ yrs. with the old Fisher. Ash removal systems are over-rated & just another potential source of an air-leak. After that old Fisher, the wife wanted a stove that looked a bit prettier & other than black. However, once she saw that cooktop of the Alderlea it was an immediate sale. We have gotten some good usage out of that cooktop! (My criteria were simplicity, i.e., reduced number of moving parts, & ease of doing the yearly chimney/stove cleaning. The PE products all fulfilled my criteria).

Yeah I thought the ash drop is a joke....I agree totally. The cooktop is a huge cool thing! =)
I do think I would use a ashpan if it had the grate system. But that is one reason I am considering the Jotul F55 too....no ash system....which might be just as good. =) I think they are both great stoves(progress hybrid and the F55). One is much more efficient but whether that is really important here in Oregon I am not sure. Love them both...

I did speak with the dept of energy here in oregon
Did you tell them you thought their rule was "stupid" and "crazy," and did they offer any explanation of why that wasn't so? ==c

Wow I had no idea in OR that was a rule to have an outside air kit! I guess it's usually a good thing but seems somewhat unnecessary and pretty marginal benefits in some situations. And really hard to implement sometimes! If you can just let it terminate near the stove in the floor that should be fine, but I'd definitely have a way to seal it up when you're not running the stove. If it were me I'd think it silly to have it so close and venting into the room instead of hooked directly (seems like it would introduce the possibility of a lot of cold air infiltration into the home, and not provide any backdraft protection at all) but I know looks are important to you and it's probably just to meet the requirements. If you find it introduces too much cold air you could always put something like a rock or brick or whatever matches your hearth over it or a nice looking coal hod or ash bucket. Good luck! If I could have saved over a grand I might have looked at the Progress a bit harder, there were other reasons I went with the Ideal Steel but the price was a big factor too.

Ohioburner.....the price is almost 500.00 difference on the Progress Hybrid right now than the prices last week. It is 4 hundred some odd savings. So yeah it is a chunk of change esp since I'd have to pay 700.00 or so to ship to me. ouch. So that would pay some of my shipping in savings anyway.
Oh I see the discount does look a bit bigger on the Progress, that is interesting. And good timing for you I bet, sucks thought that shipping is so much but you're on the other side of the country. They are a bit more common with the folks in the northeast.

Last edited:
Yeah it is required for the tax credit. If we didn't want the tax credit then we wouldn't have to do it. And yes I care about how it looks, unfortunately it isn't in a corner and in the middle of the great room sorta. So it is 'in your face'. It will be the first thing everyone sees when they walk into our house. So it will matter if I have a huge pip sticking out the back. =)

The Ideal steel actually has a little more tax money back. But I didn't like the look of that stove. Just me. Very efficient though! Great stove.
We actually are still deciding what we will buy. I am still toying with the Jotul F55. Love that stove too. It isn't as efficient but I like other things on it that the Progress doesn't have. And I am still not sure I want a cat converter. I am so new to wood stoves....the simplicity of the F55 is very attractive to me in many ways. We have to decide by tomorrow. I know I am over thinking all this but it is like buying a bed....gonna have it for a long time! =)

Reactions: OhioBurner©
Yeah it's a chunk of change to ship a woodstock to my house.....over 700. Gulp. One of the 'con's' on the list for woodstock. ;)

Shipping cost is why you don't see more of them on the west coast.

Someone has a Jotul F55 here.....I am needing a photo of the inside of the stove....I'd like to see the box inside....provided it isn't filled with ash? =)
Could someone snap a photo? Curious what it looks like without a ash pan....since it is lined supposedly with brick....trying to visualize it.

Now I feel like I have more options to explore. Lol thanks countrychick! I really want a nice stove that is efficient will get the job done, looks nice, and can cook in case of emergency too! The prices on the woodcocks aren't bad, but that will depend on shipping to AK!

begreen.......I gotta say something to you! I've been reading quite a bit on this site with our decision of buying a stove coming up tomorrow! You are one very wise man!!! What you have to say about us ladies is.....well very brilliant and wise! Good job! It takes some men their whole lives to say things like that! My man is one that caught on pretty quickly about women....and how pleasing me.....pays off big time for him. =)

Tifferstwo: Glad this thread helped you in your search! Woodstocks are nice stoves. We have been deciding between the Jotul F55 and the Woodstock Progress Hybrid. Both are great stoves. Making our decision tomorrow.

Tifferstwo: Forgot to add....we are looking for those things too. Want to be able to cook on the stove. Both the stoves we are considering you can cook on top. 700+ to ship to oregon the Woodstock. The Jotul is way cheaper than the Woodstock. But love them both. There are other brands that are just as good as well. These are just the two we have gotten our search down to......
Hope you are able to find just the right stove for your family soon.

Countrychick . . . I don't think you can go wrong with either of the two finalists that you have narrowed this list down to.

Also, there are more women here than you may think . . . and most of us recognize that running a woodstove is not an exclusively male thing. Hell, my wife runs the woodstove more often than I do.

Jake: Thank you:) Drum roll please.......we made our choice today. The Jotul F55 was our choice! Love that stove! Many reasons. The Progress Hybrid is a beautiful stove!! But there were a few reasons we decided against buying it. We can always change to a different stove down the road....people have done that here. But I have a feeling we are going to be happy for a long time! =) Love so much about it! Really the whole Jotul line I love the look of their stoves!

It is great to hear about the forum having alot of female members! =) Glad there are lots of us here! Haven't heard them speak up much....but maybe they will now that you have said something! =) Nope my hubby won't be the only one running the stove! =) Can't wait to get it! Got the fireplace screen too.....looking forward to hearing the snap crackle up close and personal once in a while!

Can't wait! We are having the hearth installed this week! Anxious to see how it turns out!

Status
Not open for further replies.