Newbie looking to buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbraker

Oct 19, 2006
I'm looking for some advice. I am in a town that only has two stove retailers. One carries the Lopi line, the other Buck stoves. I have estimates from both to install wood burning brands of their respective stoves into my fireplace.

The Lopi retailer has priced the whole job (stove, connect kit, labor) at approx. 2900.00 for the Answer model.

The other retailer priced the Buck Stove model 21 with connect kit, installation etc. at just under 2000.00.

I was told the Lopi is the industry leader, however, a 900 dollar difference is a big difference...unless I am getting what I pay for.

I am not adverse to buying a product that is worth the price, but I have no idea if the two are that far apart in quality, workmanship, reputation, etc.

I'd appreciate some advice from folks that have more experience with these products.

Thanks!
tbraker

Where do you live?

Ask each dealer for installation references. There can be a lot of differences in installations. Also ask for a list of parts to be used in the install. The list should specify brand of pipe.

If you're happy with these stoves then the references should help you decide. Are these the only brands they carry? If you want more options, it might be worth going a bit further afield to look for a stove unless that means a long trip.

I'm puzzled what is a connect kit? Are we talking about a direct connect in a fire place fleu? or is one including a fully insulated liner?
that would explain $900 difference Post details in cluding what is included and brand and model nunbers then we can offer good advice

free standing stove? insert models BTUs we need more info and from the sounds of so do you

elkimmeg said:
I'm puzzled what is a connect kit? Are we talking about a direct connect in a fire place fleu? or is one including a fully insulated liner?
that would explain $900 difference Post details in cluding what is included and brand and model nunbers then we can offer good advice

free standing stove? insert models BTUs we need more info and from the sounds of so do you

It is a direct connect kit for insertion into my fireplace. The Buck dealer is charging 525.00 for the kit and didn't ask any questions about fireplace dimensions. The stove is 1299.00.

The Lopi dealer is charging approx 700.00 for the kit, claiming due to code I'll need a liner in my chimney in addition to the kit. Dealer very interested in fireplace dimensions, county I lived in (for code reasons), went on-and-on about how great Lopi model is compared to other brands, but only offered the Answer model as my solution. Since the quote does not break down the pricing by line item, I estimate based on knowing the kit value the remainder of the cost is stove + labor to install, i.e., 1,800 for the stove, 350 parts/labor.

Lopi Answer model BTU = 66,800/hr vs. Buck model 21 = 41,200/hr

As an added kicker, my fireplace measures W 31" H 34.5" D 19". I'll need to get the stove placed on cinders to make the enclosure look right...

Thats what I figured also ask if a metal block off plate is included in the full liner install? There is a world of difference between a full line and an illegal direct connect.

Ask the busk stove dealer what the NFPA cross-sectional code is I am hazzarding a guess He has not checked codes in the past 3 years
If you have an exposed chimney then chances are you can only be code compliant with a full liner posibly requiring an insulated liner.
This is a major purchase and conmitment. You should request all details of what is included block off plate liner brand and model
whether insulation is required for UL compliances. After you have received that info post it here, at that time many can tell you. what is fair
the cheap way out after the installation you will be joining the many post and past post I can't get my stove opperating correctly.
Everytime I open the door the smoke puffs out. What a pain in the A it is to pull that 400 lb beast out to clean because I have a direct connect.

Also nail down a delivery/install date. I can remember countless posts last season about how people made a purchase with a dealer, paid in full early in the season (like this time of the year), and were still waiting for an install in January. More than just a few frustrated people.

Don't know if it was the dealer, the supplier, the manufacturer, or what. The problem still remained regardless of who was at fault. Try to protect yourself. If you can get it written in a contract, then all the better. If you can pay partial up front (with refund in writing if no delivery by xxx date), then do it. Once they have your $$, your bargaining strength is greatly reduced.

I am sure this is not all that common, but still cover your grass. Sounds like the Lopi dealer is the better choice. KD

Sounds like you have your Lopi 'Answer'. Good stove. Though it still would be helpful to know what city you live in so that a brief check could see if there are alternative dealers/options in your area.

BeGreen said:
Sounds like you have your Lopi 'Answer'. Good stove. Though it still would be helpful to know what city you live in so that a brief check could see if there are alternative dealers/options in your area.

I apoligize, I forgot to mention that....Evansville, IN 47720

Would Owensboro, KY be too far? There's a Pacific Energy dealerthere. There's also a Vermont Castings dealer in Evansville - Firecaster and in Vincennes - Heritage Fireplace. Also there's a Quadrafire dealer in Owensboro - The Backyard. It may pay to shop around until you feel you have the right combo of desired features in a stove and quality installation and service from the dealer. I'm not trying to discourage you from getting the Lopi, just offering more options in your vicinity.

BeGreen said:
Would Owensboro, KY be too far? There's a Pacific Energy dealerthere. There's also a Vermont Castings dealer in Evansville - Firecaster and in Vincennes - Heritage Fireplace. Also there's a Quadrafire dealer in Owensboro - The Backyard. It may pay to shop around until you feel you have the right combo of desired features in a stove and quality installation and service from the dealer. I'm not trying to discourage you from getting the Lopi, just offering more options in your vicinity.
Good advise ...... lots of stove brands and models , do your home work / research on a lot of different stoves before making a log term decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.