Newbie needing advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marster

Jan 13, 2008
S. Central Pa

Hi there,

First of all, I love this site!! Lots of good information.

I have been trying to decide which pellet/corn stove to go with but have some basic questions that I hope you all can help me with. I live in Harrisburg/York area of Pa. Anyone else here from this area?

There are stove dealers everywhere here. I called several dealers and they both tried to deter me from buying a stove that burns multiple fuels. For the life of me, I dont understand that. Anyways, I live in a 2002 doublewide (1,456 sqft) Well insulated and tyvac.

I called my local township to see if I need a permit. I got referred to a 3rd party inspecter who has yet returned my call. Do I need a permit? Family member works in another township that does not required permits.

Also, should or does a dealer have to come to my place to determine placement or air flow of my home before I purchase?

The place I picked out has carpet on the floor. Does this have to be removed and replaced with anything or could I just get a heavier pad to prevent any problems?

Should I go with a vent out the side or my home or up threw the roof? Reason for this question is where I like to put the stove would make the outside pipe be in the front of my home.

Last but not least, if anyone is here from this area, which dealer would you recommend?

TIA for all who comments.

I'm not from your area, but can answer some of these questions. Seeing a few local stove dealers is the best thing to do. If you find they are educating you without a heavy sales push, then listen. Burning premium wood pellets will likely give you the simplest operation and cleanest burning. Unless an alternative fuel is readily available locally and much less expensive, I agree, there is no need to buy a multi-fuel unit. What you want is quality construction, good efficiency, quiet, safe operation, low maintenance, good service and of course, good heat. There are several manufacturers that can meet this need. Harman, Quadrafire, Enviro all have websites that list dealer locaters on them.

The stove can sit on a pre-made hearth pad on top of the carpet. Or the carpet can be cut back and the area tiled for a more built in look. I agree that it would look better with a roof vent. The other advantage is less risk of soiling the exterior siding. The dealer should come out to your home and determine the best options for installation. Question, what is the roofing material? If it is a conventional shingle roof, the straight up vent is possible, though the installer may not have much working space. It will likely be a bit more costly than a side wall exit flue, but is a nicer look. Is there any attic access? If you find the installer is trying to a push for a quick and dirty installation (straight out the back of the stove with no vertical rise to the pipe), don't accept that.

One other thing to consider, it will probably be REQUIRED that you use an outside air kit in a mobile home installation. I know it is required on Quad units, I assume for a reason, and that others will also require it. Not a big deal will just be a 2" or 3" flex pipe going out the wall behind the stove.

I live not far from you and as for the permit thing, as you have found out every township and boro are different, best wait to find out what the inspector says.

BeGreen said:
I'm not from your area, but can answer some of these questions. Seeing a few local stove dealers is the best thing to do. If you find they are educating you without a heavy sales push, then listen. Burning premium wood pellets will likely give you the simplest operation and cleanest burning. Unless an alternative fuel is readily available locally and much less expensive, I agree, there is no need to buy a multi-fuel unit. What you want is quality construction, good efficiency, quiet, safe operation, low maintenance, good service and of course, good heat. There are several manufacturers that can meet this need. Harman, Quadrafire, Enviro all have websites that list dealer locaters on them.

The stove can sit on a pre-made hearth pad on top of the carpet. Or the carpet can be cut back and the area tiled for a more built in look. I agree that it would look better with a roof vent. The other advantage is less risk of soiling the exterior siding. The dealer should come out to your home and determine the best options for installation. Question, what is the roofing material? If it is a conventional shingle roof, the straight up vent is possible, though the installer may not have much working space. It will likely be a bit more costly than a side wall exit flue, but is a nicer look. Is there any attic access? If you find the installer is trying to a push for a quick and dirty installation (straight out the back of the stove with no vertical rise to the pipe), don't accept that.

I've been all over the web looking at different models. The ones you have listed as well as Bixby. They all have good models....just to many to choose from. Tomorrow I will be stopping at 2 different dealers. I think it's time to see them in operation. Why do you feel there is no need to buy a multi-fuel stove? Are they less efficient? I like the versitility of knowing I could burn something other than pellets. I do however plan on using pellets or a mix of the two.

My roof is a typical shingled roof. He shouldnt have any problems cutting threw. There is no attic area. I really appreciate your response. Very helpful! What is the cost for a typical installation using the side vent?

I read on some models that you need to bolt the stove to the floor and ground the unit to the frame when installing in a modular home. If this is true, would the carpet be a problem?

Thanks again for your help.

heatman said:
I live not far from you and as for the permit thing, as you have found out every township and boro are different, best wait to find out what the inspector says.

Thanks! I tried to find something on the state pa site......without luck.

jtp10181 said:
One other thing to consider, it will probably be REQUIRED that you use an outside air kit in a mobile home installation. I know it is required on Quad units, I assume for a reason, and that others will also require it. Not a big deal will just be a 2" or 3" flex pipe going out the wall behind the stove.

My home is air tight. I read alot of issues with outside air kits. Are most the problems due to homes using them that dont necessary need them?

There are several stoves out there that can burn multi-fuel. I'm not saying don't get one, just don't make it a priority unless it seems like this is your best fuel choice. Corn burns dirtier and needs more frequent cleaning. It also has storage issues (it's food for rodents) so often it's not the best solution, especially for first time stove owners. But if you find a stove you like and it's multi-fuel, no problem. For example, in your size place a Quadrafire Castille might work out well and it burns wood pellets and corn. That doesn't mean you have to burn corn, many folks burn only wood pellets in theirs.

I'll let the installer answer the particulars, but you are correct that the stove is required to be bolted down in a mobile home. Don't worry , the installer can handle this. Without knowing the actual installation challenges and pipe run, any installation estimate would be a guess, $5-800 maybe?

What sort of issues are you reading about with outdoor air kits?

BeGreen said:
There are several stoves out there that can burn multi-fuel. I'm not saying don't get one, just don't make it a priority unless it seems like this is your best fuel choice. Corn burns dirtier and needs more frequent cleaning. It also has storage issues (it's food for rodents) so often it's not the best solution, especially for first time stove owners. But if you find a stove you like and it's multi-fuel, no problem. For example, in your size place a Quadrafire Castille might work out well and it burns wood pellets and corn. That doesn't mean you have to burn corn, many folks burn only wood pellets in theirs.

I'll let the installer answer the particulars, but you are correct that the stove is required to be bolted down in a mobile home. Don't worry , the installer can handle this. Without knowing the actual installation challenges and pipe run, any installation estimate would be a guess, $5-800 maybe?

What sort of issues are you reading about with outdoor air kits?

Smoke in the room and or hopper. Blow back from if windy outside??

I would maybe expect that from a poorly terminated system, but I'd think it would take a heck of a gale to create negative pressure on the OAK.

BeGreen said:
I would maybe expect that from a poorly terminated system, but I'd think it would take a heck of a gale to create negative pressure on the OAK.

I talked to an installer who said that if I was concerned with the wind he could put a damper (flap) on the exhaust or he could run the exhaust down threw the floor since I am on a slab.

I bought a Breckwell P23 stove. I'm trying to get opinions on this site without much luck. Do you know anyone or have any opinions?

Marster said:
I talked to an installer who said that if I was concerned with the wind he could put a damper (flap) on the exhaust...

I am pretty sure I read you shouldn't add
any type of damper to the exhaust of these
stoves.

About your other post. Give it some time.
There are other Breckwell owners on here
but not everyone visits the site daily.
Not sure about that exact model, but I've
seen folks post about the P24 and many
others so I know you have company here.

zeta said:
Marster said:
I talked to an installer who said that if I was concerned with the wind he could put a damper (flap) on the exhaust...

I am pretty sure I read you shouldn't add
any type of damper to the exhaust of these
stoves.

About your other post. Give it some time.
There are other Breckwell owners on here
but not everyone visits the site daily.
Not sure about that exact model, but I've
seen folks post about the P24 and many
others so I know you have company here.

I'll for sure to question this with the installer. This is all new to me.

Thanks for the assurance. Just so excited I want to hear opinions. I hope to have it installed next week.

Marster said:
BeGreen said:

I talked to an installer who said that if I was concerned with the wind he could put a damper (flap) on the exhaust or he could run the exhaust down threw the floor since I am on a slab.

I bought a Breckwell P23 stove. I'm trying to get opinions on this site without much luck. Do you know anyone or have any opinions?

Perhaps you misunderstood the installer or both of you are not quite on the same page?

The question was about the Outside Air Kit. Hopefully that is what he was referring to, not the exhaust. The air intake can run downward, in an open crawlspace, but since you are on a slab that is not an option. Nor is a damper. Just add a 90 elbow pointing downward (with bug screen) to reduce wind issues. You don't want a damper on either the OAK or the exhaust. Be sure the OAK termination is above the maximum snow level at this location. Same for the exhaust.

I have a Breekwell p24i and like it just fine . Iv'e had since this past Nov. so I am relativly new @ this but I can tell you one thing and that is to do the maintainence. Daily weekly monthly & annuallly as required. Any problems you do run into look thruout the forum there is a ton of good info here and very helpful & patient people to explain things. Good luck with the stove .

carlie said:
I have a Breekwell p24i and like it just fine . Iv'e had since this past Nov. so I am relativly new @ this but I can tell you one thing and that is to do the maintainence. Daily weekly monthly & annuallly as required. Any problems you do run into look thruout the forum there is a ton of good info here and very helpful & patient people to explain things. Good luck with the stove .

Thanks for your reply. I agree with keeping it clean! Had mine installed about 2 weeks ago. I love the stove! Very nice not hearing the oil burner run!!

On the inside firebox do you have 4 little trap like doors? The installer told me to open these and clean. Not quite sure what to use back in there. Maybe a bottle brush? Any suggestions?? I've vacuumed but that really didnt get back in.

Love this place! A wealth of information and help!

I use a coat hanger to get in those tight spaces . I'm on the look out for a real flexible brush to use also .

Copperfield sells them which is a huge fireplace/chimney distributor. So a hearth dealer might carry them. They are perfectly sized for cleaning out heat exchanger tubes on the Quad units.

jtp10181 said:
Copperfield sells them which is a huge fireplace/chimney distributor. So a hearth dealer might carry them. They are perfectly sized for cleaning out heat exchanger tubes on the Quad units.

Thanks! I will definitly pick one of these brushes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.