Newbie needs advice, please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha

Jan 20, 2012
Ohio
I have a condemned fireplace after our last inspection, there is no mortar after a chimney fire or lightning strike according to the guy who came out. I am putting my house on the market, and I don't have a lot of money to fix it. I also don't know much about fireplaces. Do I have any options besides the $5000 repair quoted by the chimney service? I'm sure more details are needed but I am that clueless. Help! And thank you!

Hi Sasha, welcome to the forums :)

Delp brings up a good point, what are your goals here?

Was this a certified chimney sweep? What are his credientials? Many,Many sweeps seem to have a speech already prepared, before they even look at the flue. They sell liners, that how they make there money. It very well could be true, but I would make sure he is qualified, not just a maintenance man, or a sweep looking to make sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.