Newbie needs help identifying stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4runnin4life

Oct 4, 2016
California
Hi everyone!

I was hoping to join the club sooner, but my starter house didn't come with so much as a chimney... house number two did, however, along with a wood burning stove! I've been anxious to use this thing and, now that winter is approaching, it's time to know what I have and, more importantly, what I'm doing.

The main reason for this post is that I'm requesting any advice on how to identify the stove itself, along with any tips on use in regards to the stove model specifically. I could also use tips on how to USE stoves in general (but I won't ask, because I'm sure the search function would tell me).

Quick background on myself: Mechanically-savvy DIYer. From an auto repair perspective on my "abilities"... I've done head gasket replacements, clutch replacements, etc. and I've done two budget restorations: a 1967 Chevrolet truck and a 1973 Datsun 240z... not bragging, just trying to convey my dexterity in working on stuff. Needless to say, I know virtually NOTHING about safe burning in a house.

Note worthy points:

The house was built in 1976 and has a typical brick chimney on an exterior wall (California tract house).

The steel surround on the vertical brick face is bolted... not decoratively, it looks sturdy. 1/8 inch plate at least. The stove is welded to this surround and essentially cantilevers off of the fire place wall (well it LOOKS like it would, but the PO shoved lengths of black pipe horizontally beneath the stove... for support I suppose).

There is a rectangular opening below the stove that looks completely useless. It probably is meant to be the floor -mount in the event of a different installation?

Absolutely NO markings on areas of the stove that are visible when installed. No riveted tags.

Exhaust outlet is UP at the rear.

Ports on the sides with little swing doors (presumably air intake?).

Double-door. No glass.

Rope-type seal on the doors.

The disc on the top of the stove is (I think) a flu valve of some sort with a screw clamp of some sort... can't really tell how it mounts or how I'd use it.

No fan.

Anyway, any help on identifying (and maybe tips on use for a stove with similar features) would be really welcomed. I've googled all over the place with no determining results.

Thanks,

Dan

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

Images don't open.

Looks like a stove made by a local welding shop. It was very common back then for welding shops to make a few stoves that only were sold regionally.

I'd pull it out of the fireplace and replace it with a modern unit with a stainless steel liner.

Looks like a stove made by a local welding shop. It was very common back then for welding shops to make a few stoves that only were sold regionally.

I'd pull it out of the fireplace and replace it with a modern unit with a stainless steel liner.

Ya second that.

The disc on top is a simmer burner. Flip it over, clamp it on the stove top edge and it swivels to adjust temperature over stove top. This prevents rapid boil when humidifying the air with a kettle on stove top, or a slower simmer when cooking.

Napa 4.jpg

To control draft they are called flue dampers. Not to be confused with the flu which is the infectious disease caused by the influenza virus. ;em

The space under the stove probably serves as an air intake for cooler air at floor level to enter at the bottom, as heat rises by natural convection out the slot above stove top. If the rectangular opening at bottom is open to the back, it could be used for a blower to push heated air out the top which is much more efficient than natural convection. Manufactured blowers were made to connect there.
See this thread for the different styles made for Fisher as well as homemade blowers;
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/made-a-blower-for-my-fisher-insert.117672/#post-1600025

Pictures do not show a mantle, but if there is one made of combustible material there are minimum clearances above appliance as well as an angled plate (deflector) needed.

11-2011 ebay $1018-2.jpg Insert Deflector.jpg ; example as supplied for UL Listed Fisher.

Searching "Fireplace Insert" will give you more information than calling it a stove. Stoves are freestanding appliances. Yours is being used as an "Insert" as pictured above. Yours is very close to a copy of the Fisher Insert who was the industry leader at the time. Does it have firebrick inside?? Operation, installation and modification tips are going to be similar to those found in the Fisher Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.