Newbie needs help with Harman p68 vs Enviro Max

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R SEIF

Sep 22, 2013
Hi,I need some help on what is the best pellet stove to buy.I have a high ranch 1550 SQ. feet upstairs & 1000 SQ.feet downstairs i looked at the Enviro Max & the Harmon p-68 which is 1100 more than the Max.I wanted to put either of these stoves down stairs in my finished family room i have read mixed reveiws if the heat will make it upsatirs 3 of my bedrooms are on the opposite side of the house upstairs do you think 1 of these stoves can handle this?Also it was suggested i could cut vents into the floor upstairs [not the bedrooms as they are over the garage] but the living & dining rooms does this work & is it safe?My last question is should i buy a smaller stove upstairs & use a infrared heater downstairs?Also if i did put the Max or P-68 downstairs would it be too hot to stay downstairs in the family room the stove would be in?Thanks for the help.

Try and get a drawing-draft of your home posted. Where in the world are you from as prevailing climate makes a difference too.

Most member will steer you towards the P68. I'd look hard at the Maxx. Because if you can't get enough heat upstairs you can order the plenum kit to duct some heat upstairs. An even better suggestion is the Maxx M which will rival the P68 in burn ability at dealing with bargain brand pellets.

Will it get hotter downstairs where the stove is at? YES, It will Probably 10 plus degrees warmer than upstairs depending on how much you can turn the air in the house. Ducting will even things out because ti will force heat upstairs.

What is your present heating system?

I have oil heat trying to have hard not to use it as it cost $4000 from Oct to end of March last year.I would like to use the Stove for my main source of heat this Winter but getting mixed opinions if the heat will get to my 3 bedrooms upstairs which are upstairs on the opposite side of the house & want to be able to be downstairs & not feel like a Sauna.I have seen the Maxx-M i found a leftover Maxx with the smaller glass window & the dealer was giving it to me for 2500 i think thats a good deal if it will heat my whole house.Can you also tell me how difficult is the Maxx to clean and is it a top feeder?In your opinion Maxx or Harmon p-68?Thanks.

I have oil heat trying to have hard not to use it as it cost $4000 from Oct to end of March last year.I would like to use the Stove for my main source of heat this Winter but getting mixed opinions if the heat will get to my 3 bedrooms upstairs which are upstairs on the opposite side of the house & want to be able to be downstairs & not feel like a Sauna.I have seen the Maxx-M i found a leftover Maxx with the smaller glass window & the dealer was giving it to me for 2500 i think thats a good deal if it will heat my whole house.Can you also tell me how difficult is the Maxx to clean and is it a top feeder?In your opinion Maxx or Harmon p-68?Thanks.

The only way to guarantee you won't over heat down stairs is to force most of the heat upstairs. If you really don't want the sauna effect consider ducting or a furnace that sisters into the present heating system. Its very hard to get the hot air from down stairs to naturally convect upstairs. You'll need to work hard at figuring out how to move the air. Assist with fans ect!

Maxx is harder to clean than the P68 by a little bit and less tolerant on bargan pellets. There is a baffle that needs to removed. Maxx M is similar to the Maxx at cleaning. But better at tolerating higher ash pellets than the P68

Last edited:
Ok thanks i have baseboard heating so ducting to existing is not an option i plan on using low ash pellets will the maxx tolerate this?If i cut vents into the floor above where the stove will be downstairs does this work & is it safe?I have a super raised ranch so a little bigger than a raised ranch & was planning to use fans & vents if this will help thanks.

Low ash is what we all wish we could have or get. A fan or two working with the homes already occurring flows can help a lot.

The Maxx can handle low ash pellets pretty well. You'll still need to swish the burnpot on a daily basis to avoid back ups even with some of the best pellets.

Cutting holes, installing vents and leaving them open is something that most local code condemns. You will be voiding the firestops. Once you add ducting and seal it to the appliance it is considered a firestop with most local code.

All Enviros are top feed units.

Maxx is harder to clean than the P68 by a little bit and less tolerant on bargan pellets. But better at tolerating higher ash pellets than the P68

I didn't know the P68 had a problem with ash. My p61 doesn't.

Ok that was good to know thanks alot.Guess i will go with a smaller unit upstairs & use a infrared heater downstairs.

Hope your power rates are better than mine.

I wish they were but its very high.I hate to spend 2500 and the heat doesn't get up to the bedrooms,living room & dining room.The dealer said he sells vents with fans in then that goes into the walls not sure if this will do it.

Maybe you will get hooked on pellet burners and have two. The used market can have some good deals off season. My last purchase was an Italian stove with one season use for $500. At that price point you can't hardly get an electrician and a roll of wire installed.

I didn't know the P68 had a problem with ash. My p61 doesn't.
It doesn't But the Maxx M self cleans and can burn industrial grade pellets and light multifuels. Its not just a pellet stove. If it can handle those it will truely handle any pellet!

He didn't say the p68 had a problem handling high ash pellets, just that the MaxxM handled them better...

Thanks bud! Your starting to understand me, You might be in for a straight jacket!

Hmmm, I need to reread my manual for my lil pc45s fuel digesting abilities:)

It doesn't But the Maxx M self cleans and can burn industrial grade pellets and light multifuels. Its not just a pellet stove. If it can handle those it will truely handle any pellet!

Thanks bud! Your starting to understand me, You might be in for a straight jacket!

I have been straight jacket worthy for a long time now!!!

Ok that was good to know thanks alot.Guess i will go with a smaller unit upstairs & use a infrared heater downstairs.
Many do use 2 to heat the whole house. We have a member that has 3.

A 50K upstairs and a 35K down should work nicely. Look at the Drolets you might be able to get 2 for the price of one Harmon.

I checked out the Drolets i can get 2 for 1 do you know what type of quality this stove is will i have alot of problems with them compared to the Harmon or the Maxx?

I checked out the Drolets i can get 2 for 1 do you know what type of quality this stove is will i have alot of problems with them compared to the Harmon or the Maxx?
They are reasonable because they don't have dealer support. If you are handy and can do your own repairs. might be worth checking into. I do not have first hand experience with them. Hopefully some of the Drolet or Flame owners will provide something.

The Eurozone will be a dealer stove. It is the sister to the Drolet and Flame stoves. All made by SBI industries.

http://enerzone-intl.com/products.aspx?CategoId=5

http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/pellet/stoves

Reactions: stayfitz
I'd think about getting 2 stoves if yer gonna go full pellet heat. Unless you can run some fancy ductwork, or work miracles with box fans (noisy!), 10+ degrees warmer in the stove room is not likely to happen, IMO. It'll probably be more like 20+ to get your desired temps upstairs. The P68 doesn't screw around. Get too close to it and you'll find yourself cursing saying a lot of HOLY **** and WTF!!!! ;)

How bout two P38's? There's a guy on these forums that has one in his man cave and another that heats the entire first and second floor of his house.

Status
Not open for further replies.