Newbie needs help with solar panel connection to owb

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jinxy

Mar 24, 2014
missouri
I currently have a owb and would like to use its tank for storage of dhw from a solar panel(s) during the summer months when I am not burning wood. As I envision the project, I would pump the water from the owb tank to the panel and then from the storage tank to the side arm HX of the 80 gal electric hot water tank, via the separate owb pump going to the house.
I have no idea what kind of plumbing would be required to accomplish this project and would appreciate any help. Since my location is an area with freezing temps in the winter, there would have to be a way to drain the panel during periods of no use/limited sun (draindown system?). I would also like to incorporate a Garn Jr. in this scheme, since the present owb system probably has 5yrs left before needing replacement.

I also want to thank the members of this forum for their reviews. They were very helpful in my selection.......Jinxy

Status
Not open for further replies.