Newbie needs tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitehouse1949

Nov 17, 2016
B
I am completely new to indoor fires. Recently rented a house from my friends mom. Was built in 1949 and has an original fireplace with a Black Bart II insert. I have already scheduled a chimney sweeper to come clean it all out.

Was wanting to know any tips or advice or anything else. Never used a fireplace or an insert. Heard great things about them tho. Ill take any help, no matter how basic or whatever it sounds. Thanks in advance

Welcome. Have the sweep determine if this stove is connected to a liner or a slammer install with no connection to the chimney. If it's a slammer, this is no longer legal. This can be remedied by adding a stainless steel liner connected to the stove with an adapter.

Have fully seasoned dry wood on hand for best and cleanest burning.

Last edited:
To add a little more to the "fully seasoned dry wood" that begreen mentioned, you have to cut/split/stack wood for at least a year ahead depending on wood type. It may need longer. To determine moisture content on wood, get yourself a moisture meter. On a fresh split, you are looking for a moisture reading of 20% or less ideally. Too much higher and you lose BTUs and risk creosote build up in your stove and chimney... Use the search top right to learn more...

Status
Not open for further replies.