Newbie, New Classic Bay Insert, Bad Dealer, First Fire not happening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marblehead

Nov 1, 2008
New England
My dealer installed this, didn't tell me ANYTHING about how to use it (I just paired the thermostat with the stove). I got my fire going and then it stopped feeding pellets, fire died out and have not been able to get a fire since. Should I get all the pellets out of the hopper and stick a vacuum down there? Thanks ....I am sure that I will be posting more....

I have a classic bay 1200i myself and my installer basically did the same thing. Did you watch the dvd that came with it? has a few things that might help you learn about its operation. Did you notice if he did the startup procedure for its first fire? basically when the unit comes on wait 2 minutes hit the reset, wait another 2 minutes hit the reset and it establishes the pellets into the auger and feeding the burnpot. When you do it the thermostat should be set as high as it can go and your heat output should be on HI. Its supposted to burn for 20+ minutes on high. During that time you will smell the unit burning in (smells a little but it goes away with a few burns).

Is your thermostat setup correctly? I got a smart stat 2 remote and it seems to be working well.

I did watch the video and now I have read the book as well. I took all the pellets out and vacuumed it. It seems the feed motor isn't working properly. It sounds like it wants to click on, but the spiral thing is not turning. Looks like I get to have to make phonecall in the AM. Last night, it dropped a handful (if that ) of pellets and they burned up and that was it, so the ignition and all that is working. How disappointing. I figured that somehow it got jammed, so I got the pellets out and it still doesn't drop pellets.

Marblehead said:
My dealer installed this, didn't tell me ANYTHING about how to use it (I just paired the thermostat with the stove). I got my fire going and then it stopped feeding pellets, fire died out and have not been able to get a fire since. Should I get all the pellets out of the hopper and stick a vacuum down there? Thanks ....I am sure that I will be posting more....

You didn't mention anything about whether or not you contacted the dealer/installer after having problems. That is the 1st call you should make. When they got done with the install, they were supposed to start up the stove, and let it run for a while while you watched & asked questions....did all that happen?

No, they just basically walked out because they forgot to bring the electrician (which I asked for) and left the power cords hanging out. There is an outlet right there, so the office said I could still use it (because they are not going to send anyone until Nov 17th) (this is the bad dealer thing, I cannot tell you the things their manager said to me without sounding bitter, but honestly, if I was freezing, I would never do business again with this company)

Anyway, that spiral thing is not turning, don't know why and really not technical enough to figure it out. I am calling the dealer in the AM, but I am sure they are going to tell me that they cannot come to even look at it until December....disappointing, but I hope that they can get it going.

I have already learned a lot about the stove from this, so I hope to get to go from Newbie to someone who at least has a clue. If I was in Vegas, I would take bets on when I have a working stove and believe me, I am not too optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.