Newbie on the Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to Fellow Wood Burners. I am actually a dealer/hydronic person for an unmentioned " Not Econoburn" brand of "So Called" wood gasification units. I have installed or been involved in dozens of OWB and Wood Boiler Applications with good success and satisfaction.
I am currently (almost formerly) involved with a tankless line of wood boilers. Currently on 2 difficult cases with many problems, the main ones being short burn times and coked up heat exchangers. Both clients burning good quality, seasoned hardwood.

Two totally different houses, 1 forced air, 1 radiant in a slab with DHW from 2 50 gallon Triangle Tube Smart Tanks in series.
Both cases have short burn times and use a ton of wood.

I am no genius but have to qualify myself as quite experienced in hydronics and water flow. My client is an engineer that works with million dollar hvac systems so together we got at least 1/2 a brain more then most of the manufacturers we have dealt with.

Every direction I go in leads me to believe that the best bet for successfully heating with wood gassifcation is burning a long hot fire and storing the heat in as much water as you can afford ie. tank storage.
The unit I have been dealing with has a huge concrete refractory that is supposed to store the excess heat. I don't think so ! The unit I have been dealing with is supposed to burn cleanly and not creosote. I don't think so ! The unit I have been dealing with is supposed to support re-combustion for 48 hours...No, It Does NOT. It rarely holds a fire over 6 hours...and is very hungry.

I am currently looking at taking on Econoburn and adding storage as I have been to the factory and I like what I see. This doesn't mean there won't be bugs... and I have yet to make up my mind. I will not however quit. Oil Costs TOO Much !

Wise Men Still Seek Him.

Check out the Greenwood problems in this forum. You will find that others have the same issues wth the "unmentioned" boilers.

That was me ! I am going to order a couple Econoburns and get started. I need to sell off a Gwood I have because once I get an
E-Burn at the store, I don't think I will be able to sell the GWood. Right now, I would sell the G Wood for Peanuts just to get rid of it.
I do have a couple of concerns regarding the fan speed and the fact that it runs continuosly. This may be a good benefit but from my experience, but storage is going to be very important with any Gasser.Wise Men Still Seek Him.

hotwaterman said:
That was me ! I am going to order a couple Econoburns and get started. I need to sell off a Gwood I have because once I get an
E-Burn at the store, I don't think I will be able to sell the GWood. Right now, I would sell the G Wood for Peanuts just to get rid of it.
I do have a couple of concerns regarding the fan speed and the fact that it runs continuosly. This may be a good benefit but from my experience, but storage is going to be very important with any Gasser.Wise Men Still Seek Him.

Hotty, Have you seen Garn units? Check them out. You sound like a guy that can appreciate water storage and these units would be right up your alley. I'm sold on them!

Status
Not open for further replies.