Newbie pellet shopping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
I am a newbie.. I have a Avalon Astoria... I bought a ton of energex with the stove. They serve as my measuring stick... I shopped around and tried several brands such as

Maines Choice
barefoot
Instant Heat
Tractor supply (made by energex according to tsc)
another maine wood (white bag green lettering from tsc)
plus a few more i'm forgetting

I ran out of my first ton on new years day and a friend happen to be close who had a large delivery truck. After all my shopping i had found tsc to have the best pellets for the money $229.99. so we headed down only to arrive and find them closed. Right next door is home depot. I decided to go get a few bags to get me through the weekend.. My friend pointed out he would be unable to help with the truck again till a week or so and with my little truck (it would take to loads to get whole ton home) and the stores being 30 miles one way I had to consider all of my options. The only pellets I could find there were stove chow which I heard were horrible. I took a look at the open bag and found dark pellets much like my energex. I through a couple bags in my cart when my friend pointed out the per ton price was $229 as well. Her strongly urged me to purchase them since I was ready to buy and had the truck waiting. Despite my reservations i purchased a ton. They loaded the whole pallet up which was nicely wrapped. When we got back home and unwrapped and found that we had gotten freedom fuel. When I opened the first bag I was shocked. Very light colored very small pellets. The circumference of the pellets was half that of any pellets I had used before. The smell of pine was evident as well. I was happy as I had heard that softwoods burn well. My hopper is 115 pounds with energex two bags left plenty of room to put more in without fear of spilling over. After putting two bags of freedom fuel in my hopper was nearly overflowing... how can that be I thought? After trying to wrap my head around volume and other factors I assumed I would find someone with a better answer than I can come up with. My first week I found the pellets to be very dirty lots of ash more then any I had used be fore. It also seems the heat output is lower which is the opposite of what I would of expected. They also seem to burn faster meaning I am filling the hopper more frequently. I wish I had more scientific ways to prove these differences, obviously there are alot of variables. I was hoping to find more folks that are shopping for pellets who have had experience with this brand and others. Also does anyone else feel lost when trying to compare different brands?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum !!!! There's alot of good info here, and more than a fair share of strange brews too. :cheese:

Most will tell you to try a few bags first. I got lucky on my first purchase before being schooled here.

If you have not already done so, check Jay's test results and as BTU mentioned, read the posts there. Not all stoves will burn the same, but you can get some idea on the Big Box store brands.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/

Geno

Lots of good advice here. Bottom line is, though, ya gotta burn to learn. No two situations,( stove, pellets, installation, house setup, your expectations, how you hold your face and what you had for lunch), are the same, and they all can affect the burn. Great fun, though, and it's cold out, what else do you have to do?

Dhungy, welcome to the forum. I know your area of the state, as my parents had a house on Keuka and I spent many summers there on Bluff Point. :)

As for the pellets, too bad you allowed your friend to push you into buying the Freedom Fuel ( the Stove Crap are just as bad). I test burned a few bags of them last winter, and noticed the same thing about their size....they are 3/16" dia instead of the standard 1/4". I had the same stove as you do, and my Astoria didn't like them either.....lots of ash, and dirty, as I remember.

I think the Barefoots and Instant Heat would have burned great in the Astoria. Mine liked hardwood pellets a lot.

My only suggestion would be to suffer with them until you can get better pellets, and then mix them 50/50 until their gone.

Welcome to the forum dhungy, there be pyros and other assorted critters here.

Remember to duck when the flying pellet pigs arrive for their pellet feeding frenzy, they hurt when you get hit by one.

SmokeyTheBear said:
pellet feeding frenzy........

Where? Where? :lol:

dhungy said:
Also does anyone else feel lost when trying to compare different brands?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum dhungy.

Don't let that pellet trying stuff get to you. Take it slow and keep some notes(I have to cause I can't remember how to tie my shoes some days). We can steer you close, But as hoss and the others say. You have to us your stove as the judge and then the wallet as the verdict.

Glad you joined us.
jay

Looks at least to me that most on this site have determined it politically incorrect to bash any one pellet brand why I do not know,
To bad as there is a lot of crap pellets out there people are unaware of so but burn and learn and if you want the real lo down on any one brand PM someone so it won't be posted for all to see.

Hey moderators, can Jay's "bigbox" test thread be stickied? It really deserves it so newcomers will find it easily.

pelletizer said:
Looks at least to me that most on this site have determined it politically incorrect to bash any one pellet brand why I do not know,
To bad as there is a lot of crap pellets out there people are unaware of so but burn and learn and if you want the real lo down on any one brand PM someone so it won't be posted for all to see.

I tried and got some major flack. I would post the goods if there crap. Just don't need the BS. You never know when your posting about someones favorite brand I guess. I got another test coming up, But I will only post the numbers and photo's. I will not add comments because of the issue's I have had. But I can tell you I wasn't at all happy with lake region or Inferno's. Maybe I can add a proceed with caution symbol or something.

Check out the Blue lignetics thread there is some good dirt your looking for there. About the same stuff I saw with the pres to logs.

Gweeper64 said:
Hey moderators, can Jay's "bigbox" test thread be stickied? It really deserves it so newcomers will find it easily.

Because of the every stove is different and Your results may very rule. I doubt you will see that. There is also the batch to batch variances too.

If it gets stickied I would be shocked. Please don't use it for my results. Use it as a test reference at best. I can bet that next year what I get and test will be different. I am not sure I will have the time to do this again next year. Things always change.

RETURN THEM? holy crow thats redonculous... it was a hassle just to get the truck to get them...

Status
Not open for further replies.