Newbie Quad 7100 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjonesvt91

Oct 12, 2007
I have purchased (and had installed) a Quadrafire 7100 in our new home we are building. It looks great! I realize that the unit has an option to connect to the venting systme of the house (optional). I also thought that the unit comes with a blower that blows heat directly from the unit itself. Is this correct, I was looking at the unit and I can't see where any air could be blown from the unit.

This may be the dumbest question of all time, but I am hoping someone can help. If not, I still plan on calling the place I bought it from, but it was bugging me so bad I would ask the real experts here.

Thanks for any and all help.

Bob

Attachments

• fireplace2.jpg
    fireplace2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 322
I don't know much about that model, but I will say its a nice looking fireplace. I was looking at those on their site. Does it state a blower there?

You CANNOT hook it to the central ducting system of the house, pople always want to but it is not listed or tested for that application. You can however duct heat off the unit to another area using a Heat Zone kit, and then you can also draw return air back to the unit from another area using the AUX air hookup.

It has a blower, air blows out of that giant open space up above that I can see in the pic, from dual blowers underneath. I see you have a double gang box next to the unit, that will be an over ride toggle and a fan speed knob.

I hope they used a finishing template when doing that stone work or they are going to have one hell of a time putting the face plate on. From that picture it looks like the stone comes in too close, but its not that great of a picture so its hard to tell.

My technical answer is "sort of". The "zone heating" which ties in to the duct work is obviously optional, and I didn't get it. However, it states in the spec sheet that the blower produces 320cfm. Go figure. It appears through the diagram that there is a venting outlet above the glass doors but when I look at the unit, I don't see how it works.

In the picture you posted I can see the giant arched dead space at the top of the unit.... thats where the blower blows air out. There is an outer chamber outside the firebox that heats up and the blowers just circulate air through there. Don't worry about, just trust me, it works and moves a lot of air. You will see how it works once you have the wall switches on there. Just turn the toggle ON and adjust the speed with the knob.

jtp,
Sorry about the misinformation on the duct heating. I dont' know much about and I'm not doing it. Thanks for the info, I have looked at that open space and it just didn't look like that was it. I know that is a very technical answer. I know that the wiring was hooked up during installation, I just couldn't connect the dots to see where the air comes out of, thanks again.

I also agree that the stone work looks REALLY close. Again, I don't know anything about it, but from what I have seen, I expected it to be a little wider around the actual unit.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Bob

you guys have been great. Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. I don't visit here often, but can tell there are some VERY good folks here. Much appreciated.

Here is one more picture of the entire fireplace. Sorry the quality stinks, it was from my cell phone.

Attachments

• fireplace4.jpg
    fireplace4.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 277
I would check on the stone issue sooner rather than later, easiest thing to do is have the dealer try to install the front. They will probably let someone know if it wont fit. If its too close the masons have some work ahead of them. The fireplace dealer SHOULD have supplied a metal finishing template to prevent the problem of the stone coming in too close.

Status
Not open for further replies.