Newbie Question about pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish On

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2009
The other Cape..
Hi everybody this is real stupid question, I've been burning LG pellets and I'm in the process to test out other that I like, well when my hopper is running low can I just add another bag of another brand into it? Its a hardwood pellet that will be going in next.

They are the same size pellet also. Just wonder how low I should go.

Thanks Pete

yep....

I get the stove up to operating temperature where I usually run it with a small amount of the old pellets in the hopper,and then add the new stuff.....point being that I can see any temperature changes...good or bad from my cheapie magnetic flue temperature gauge stuck to the front of my stove.It can take near an hour to get the stove to a constant temperature I think when everything levels out.

I just huck'em in and go. If your stove has auto damper adjust, it will take care of any fine tuning. Mine
has a manual air damper, and on occasion have to tweak it just a little.

Fish On said:
....can I just add another bag of another brand into it? Its a hardwood pellet that will be going in next......
Pete,
try to wait until the last of the old pellets are going up into the auger, then dump the new ones in. Figure for most stoves, it'll take about 5-10 minutes (depending on heat setting) for all the "old" ones to get sent into the burn pot.

Are you checking just the heat, or ash & window dirtiness too? If so, let all the old pellets run out, let the stove cool, and do a burn pot-firebox-glass cleaning before starting the next pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.