Newbie Question about the Leaf Blower Trick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKS130

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Please bear with me on what may be a silly question. Why not just use a shop vac? Is the suction insufficient? Since my leaf blower is an old gas fired Craftsman (circa 1994) I would have to be standing right at the discharge port - although the machine is designed to vacuum/chip and has a bag attachment. I am also a bit hesitant because of the comments I have seen about taping down a sensor which apparently could be damaged.

Thanks.

Leave the blower nozzle on the leaf blower to direct the soot downwind, and away from you. Leave the stove door open, if the vacuum port is in the firebox, it won't see any increase in vacuum.

RKS130 said:
Please bear with me on what may be a silly question. Why not just use a shop vac? Is the suction insufficient? Since my leaf blower is an old gas fired Craftsman (circa 1994) I would have to be standing right at the discharge port - although the machine is designed to vacuum/chip and has a bag attachment. I am also a bit hesitant because of the comments I have seen about taping down a sensor which apparently could be damaged.

Thanks.

If you have a heavy duty shop vacuum with proper filters and attach it at the stove it will do the job, the only compensation I would make is to do it more often to prevent actual ash caking. Once the ash actually forms a cake you need to use quite a bit of suction or a good stiff brush to break up or pull out the plug.

The leaf blower has enough power to remove most of what is in even a well packed stove, even then it needs a bit of help.

For folks with a simple stove it will clean out multiple layers of ash traps with very little effort. This makes it quick, simple, and reliable.

Remember the leaf blower is used outside so you don't have to worry about busted or improper filters like you do inside.

It is your call, just be certain you become one with your stove's two air paths. One of them is what makes it burn well and is safety critical. The other circulates the room air through the heat exchanger. Both must be kept clean.

Thanks to Ken and, as always, a hat tip to Smokey for his always generous sharing of knowledge and experience - without making a newbie feel like an idiot! Much obliged.

Status
Not open for further replies.